Lost 3" of Water Overnight...

Sounds like a plan.

1. I will go ahead and fill it up and vacuum out the rest of the debris.

2. I will make sure I keep my FC up for a day or two to kill off any rat bacteria!!

3. Hopefully by the time it is full and the debris is out it will be a little warmer so that I can do a dye test on the main drain and check the bottom as well.

I was recommended a good pool place today by my sister and another person yesterday so I figured I would call them to see what they would charge to repair the liner (if it proved to be that) since I figured it would be a little while before I got in because the water temp is low now. So I called them and found out it is a "Ma and Pop" type business that has been working with pools since '74 and they were really nice. They said it would be $50 to come out and repair the liner if they could find a hole and I thought that was really cheap especially since I didn't really want to have to get in.

The guy came out today at 2:30 and my dad and I had been working to get the debris off out of the deep end so we could look for a tear, but the water was a little too cloudy when he got there to see the bottom, but while he was there I was able to find out what some of my valve operate, etc. He helped us get the pump running with the manual vacuum since the water is still low and said that I needed to get the rest of the stuff off of the bottom as we have discussed here and then look for a tear. He was here about 1.5 hours and said that there was no charge for today! So that was a pleasant surprise!! I have found where I am going to go for my DE and things like that I need from the pool store.

I told him that I was planning to keep the pool cleaned and maintained on my own and he completely understood, so it was a pleasant experience with this pool store. I will definitely be using the methods on here, but I figured I would share what has transpired today!!

I have left the manual vacuum in the deep end to keep the pump running and circulate some bleach I have put in. The pool is filling up, slowly, but surely. I will keep you all updated and hopefully we will have a resolution soon!

Should I see about getting a fire department to fill my pool the rest of the way or keep going like I am now? I feel like it is taking forever, but the two hoses I am using (at least one of them) don't seem to have a lot of pressure. I can tell a significant drop in the water pressure in the house while filling the pool. I ran one hose overnight on Monday and then started a second hose around 9:30AM Tuesday and they have been running since. Does this sound about right considering the water was completly out of the shallow end? There is still another 1.5 - 2 feet to go probably.

I wouldn't worry about getting the fire dept to fill it the rest of the way. Anyway, they've been known to have rust in some of the trucks and the hydrants if they're not flushed well. It won't take too much longer to get it full.

Ok, sounds good. It has been raining a lot here today and is supposed to rain tomorrow too. I know it will not help a lot but some! Mid 80 temps are coming back to Eastern NC on Monday!! :cool:

Thanks! I have definitely learned a lot in the past month or so and it is all greatly appreciated! I plan to contribute soon and I hope that I can give back to others that have questions on here too! :-D

No, not yet. I have been working to clean the debris off of the bottom so we can see if there is a tear. If we do not see a tear, I guess I will be going swimming to dye test the main drain this weekend. I am hoping for an easy to fix tear on the liner though just because the water is still pretty cold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The water is about to start going into the skimmers!!! I plan to vacuum some more debris out today after work and then tomorrow my dad and I are going to put three valves on the three pipes to the left in the picture below. When the pool guy came out the other day he figured the one on the right was to drain ground water from around the pool and the others were for the 2 skimmers and the main. I have had a hard time vacuuming because of a lack of suction and that is because I cannot adjust what is open and closed in regards to each skimmer and the main. So, we will put three valves on those pipes tomorrow so that I can properly vacuum!! I guess I should plug the two skimmers when I start to put the valves on, but what about the main? Will water continuously come out the pipe when we cut it?

Thanks!

[attachment=0:2bbgh114]P3250179.JPG[/attachment:2bbgh114]

Attachments

• P3250179.JPG
    P3250179.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 91
The pool finished filling up yesturday by about 9:30PM. I started the pump and got the water back to circulating. I turned off the hoses last night and left the pump running. When I checked it this morning, the water level had dropped VERY little if any at all. Nothing like last weekend when I lost 3" overnight with the pump running. I cannot tell that it lost much if any at all.

What could explain this? Maybe just answers to prayers!! :angel:

Understood. Well we are installing the three new valves this morning and then I should be able to vacuum with a good amount of suction! It has been a painful process trying to vacuum with the little amount of suction that I have now. I will then be able to clear out all debris from the bottom and inspect for a tear. If there is not a tear, then it looks like I will be diving to the main drain soon!! :-D

We successfully installed the valves yesterday and it greatly increased my suction vacuuming. The wind was blowing yesturday about 15-20MPH + all day so I could not finish vacuuming because of all of the ripples in the water, but hopefully I can do it today after I get home from church.

The pool is still holding water really well and has not lost much at all since filling it up Friday night. The amount lost could probably be contributed to the wind and full sun yesturday and a new leak I found in the heater!! This is not the leak that has caused all of the issues in the past week because I thoroughly inspected that area when it started leaking before and there was not any water, but now there is a drip coming out of one of the pipes in the heater. My question is, how can I stop this leak. I have posted a picture below and you can see in the left of the image the drop of water. If you are facing the heater this is behind the left panel on the side of the heater. We attempted to tighten that cap because it seemed to be threaded, but it did not budge. Is there a way to take that piece off and fix it or can I put some waterproof epozy on it to stop it? I am not using the heater and do not plan to, so as a last resort I could redo the plumbing to bypass it all together, but I would rather leave it in JUST in case. Thank you for the help!

[attachment=0:186jdosr]IMAG0148.jpg[/attachment:186jdosr]

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 61
I have not found the big leak yet. It stopped leaking Friday night and has held since then. I plan to vacuum out the rest of the junk since I can now properly vacuum and then inspect the liner.

Do you believe the epoxy would work there? If so, I could try patching it with that before having to rework the plumbing.

So we got the bottom sparkling clean today!! It has come a long way since we started the process and today I could see the results with the sparkling water in the sun!!! There is a questionable spot in the corner where I think there may be a hole. When you clean out the dirt there it looks a little dark still (the liner looks dark, all of the dirt has been vacuumed from there), unlike any other corners. Within 5 minutes it seems that dirt has accumulated there again in that exact same spot, but not anywhere else near it, so I am thinking that could be the culprit. What do you think?

Also, I completed a full test of numbers since I know I probably need to start getting those back to normal since the water has been holding and I may need to get in to fix the pool. Below are the results. Where should I start with those? Thanks again!

FC: .5
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
T/A: 40
CH: 40
CYA: 0
Borates (I had these in there before the water drained so I would like to add back unless recommended otherwise): 0
Salt: ~250

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.