Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Privacy

1. Back To Top    #1

Privacy

Hi all,
    Looking for some suggestions for adding more privacy between our backyard and our neighbor's. They built a huge two story house on their lot and now it feels like we're swimming in a fishbowl with their second floor windows and balconies way up over the 6 foot privacy walls between our two properties. I did build a 10 foot high by 30 foot long trellis and we will be planting creeping vines to slowly grow up the lattice, so that part of the yard will be screened off, but I have about another 12 foot run that I can't build anything on because of the concrete decking. So, if anyone has any experience with setting up some sort of non-permanent screening, or any other ways to increase privacy, I'd really appreciate it. I've included a picture to give you an idea of what I mean. Thanks guys.
    Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG, Shotcrete, PebbleTech, 30 1/2 x 13, 13000 approx. gals, 1 1/2 HP Jandy pump, 2 1/2 plumbing, cartridge filter, SWG, ozone system, PV3 in-floor pop-up cleaning, Mesa, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2
    In that situation, one of those extra large shade umbrellas, properly placed, might help.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

I think your problem is the height. I think a nice pergola would fit right there, and you can build it quite high, then can add hanging plants or whatever to it to give you that added privacy.

Rik

4. Back To Top    #4

you can still attach another section of trellis to the decking rather easily (brackets & concrete anchors). custom build a planter along that run. then you could plant more vines, and some lower growing plants under them. you can stain or paint the planter to add an extra splash of color. just an idea.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Your neighbor probably doesn't like the current setting either. Perhaps ya'll could get together and plant something tall and not too big around like leyland cypress (if that grows in AZ) or something similar.

Share the property line if you have to.

It may not give total privacy but the softening effect to you both would be dramatic. A natural barrier would be pleasing from both sides and could be win-win.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with Dave...If you can plant a fast-growing row of trees, such as poplar, along the fence line, it will look very nice and be quite effective. I don't know what the rules are in your neighborhood, but many have limitations on the height and placement of any structures or fences. Trees have no such limitations in my area.
    blubluenoiseise

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7
    The tree idea and, if there is no place for trees on your side of the fence or the neighbor does not want trees on his, then I vote for the pergola. They can have a lot of really nice things added to them such as plants or soft fabric woven through, etc., they also add shade and look great.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys. Good ideas. I hadn't considered trees. Thanks for the help.
    IG, Shotcrete, PebbleTech, 30 1/2 x 13, 13000 approx. gals, 1 1/2 HP Jandy pump, 2 1/2 plumbing, cartridge filter, SWG, ozone system, PV3 in-floor pop-up cleaning, Mesa, AZ