Pool paint for drain and returns?

stbasil

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
Wimberley TX
We have sand-colored pebble plaster in our new pool, and I would like to paint the returns and drains with something that would stick to the plastic and won't bleach out. My plan is to remove the external parts, paint them and replace them after they are cured. So, how about epoxy pool paint? Anybody have any thoughts about whether it would bond well to the plastic, or if this is just too dumb to try?

Thanks!

Bill Long

My thought, w/o much experience is using fine sand paper to prep the plastic and spray the pieces with Fusion Paint from Krylon. I know it adheres pretty well to PVC, just not sure how it would hold up in chlorinated water :scratch:

Yes, dmanb2b, I think the real question is whether the chlorine would bleach out the pigments in the paint, so that is why I was thinking about "pool paint" since it is made to be submerged in chlorinated water.

As far as replacement vs paint, I guess I assumed that all that stuff is only available in white. But I just Googled and see that most drain cover brands are available in other colors--I just never thought to check! So, I will ask my PB about the brand, and maybe they will even swap them out for me! Not sure about the returns, but will find that out, too. Thanks for the suggestion, Folsom!

dmanb2b said:
FolsomEJ said:
Are they really so expensive that paint is a better choice over replacement?

See what happens when us DIY folk try answering or coming up with solutions that already exist :hammer:

Everytime we paint fittings they seem to last long enough to get us paid.

In the average pool you really shoudlnt need more than $30 worth of colored fittings. Aquastar makes the most colors AFAIK.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.