Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: color of water?

1. Back To Top    #1

color of water?

Guess this might actually qualify as a physics question, but here goes!

On PF last year, I read a blurb that water, pool water specifically, looks blue because of the reflection of the blue sky. That sounded good to me, at the time...

I have a white tub, with white tile around it, just barely off-white walls and ceiling, incandescent lighting, taupe towels, light tan-ish vinyl flooring. Not a bit of blue anywhere. So why does the water in my tub look blue??

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Water is blue because it absorbes more red light than blue, see this article.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    It's because of the earth's rotation induces a centrifugal force onto water molecules, which, when combined with the natural magnetic field, cause the water particles to... Nahhhh... I'm just making that up. I got nothin.

I'm pretty sure that this falls into the category of questions like "Why is the sky blue?", which has been asked since the dawn of the word "blue". I think that water tends to absorb the red spectrum of light, which helps, but I believe that there are some complexities between the light transmission and the light reflectivity (of both water AND air) which come into play, which I wouldn't understand.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4
    The color blue is so pretty
    16x33 fiberglass pool sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    Now Grace, you know that blue water usually means no algae! 8) AND, blue water is beautiful!

Couldn't resist. btw, thanks again for my avatar

Joyce
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Well thank goodness there is no algae in my bathtub!!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Doesn't everyone know that water is blue because it's the fourth B in BBBB.

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

8. Back To Top    #8
    i always herd the darker the surface the greener and the lighter the bluer,

but we have one bath tub thats white, with dark i think slate tiles around it and the water always looks clear, and another one with light blue tiles and the water still looks clear, the waters clear, you are just seeing the reflection of the surface it in.

9. Back To Top    #9
    My surface is almost as dark as it gets (midnight blue pebbletec), and its a dark blue. No hint of green.

And clear as can be, thanks to TFP!

For example
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ktdave
    My surface is almost as dark as it gets (midnight blue pebbletec), and its a dark blue. No hint of green.

And clear as can be, thanks to TFP!
    I really like what you did with your colors...light in the shallows and dark in the deeper water to make it look that much deeper. Are you worried about the dark finish absorbing too much heat from the sun and making the water too warm in July/August? That's my only concern. I live in Louisiana (not far from you) and some friends of mine have pools (small) that almost get TOO warm in late summer.
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

11. Back To Top    #11
    I got started up (finished construction) the first day of August this year. I have no other point of reference, but through the hot days of August (95-100) the hottest the pool got was 90. That was only a couple of the hottest days. I would say of the 45 days we've been open, the average is about 86-88, which is where we like it.

One thing that might help us is, as you can (barely) see in the picture, the pool is very close to the house (right side of pic), which is on the west side of the pool. The pool gets shaded from the house beginning about 3:30-4:00 and is totally out of the sun at 5:00.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits