Max Flo 2 pump takes 10 minutes to prime

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
Does anyone know why this might be happening?

The pump room is not that far from the pool. maybe 20ft. When I cut the main drain off to vacuum the pump sucks air so maybe this could be one reason. Also before the grass grew there was a lot of dirt in the pool so I think overtime the dirt might have worn down the impeller and this could be another reason maybe? I've heard of pools by the beach having that same problem.

Keven said:
Sounds like either a bad pump seal or your unions have a small suction leak... My bet it's the pump seal..

Thanks I'll check on the pump seal. the valves are inside pump house so doubt its them. they look good. sun usually makes them brittle if they are outside and then they suck air. also seen plumbing crack due to sun damage.

Besides an air leak, a clogged impeller can also increase the time it takes to prime a pump. But if you are losing prime between run times, then it is definitely an air leak. A pump should not normally lose prime unless air is entering the system somewhere.

mas985 said:
Besides an air leak, a clogged impeller can also increase the time it takes to prime a pump. But if you are losing prime between run times, then it is definitely an air leak. A pump should not normally lose prime unless air is entering the system somewhere.

it actually only loses prime when I open the strainer basket to clean it. no matter if I fill it with water it still takes 10 minutes to prime.

this is the pool. pump house is right in back of that hammock..

35307_406289513067_163930848067_4431069_6592479_n.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.