Filter Dirt flowing back into Pool

ncpool

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2010
Our PB just filled our pool. The pool was filled from the hydrant so the water was pretty cloudy at first.

Let the pump run all night and the water was clear the next day. Last night, i ran the pump at low speed. This morning, i turned the pump off, could hear the water draining in the filter. Then i turned the pump back on high, and got about five - ten seconds of silt/dirt/gunk blown back into the pool via the returns. Any thoughts on what could have caused this?

sounds like valve is left open or air is bleeding back into the lines when pump is off. assuming all fittings and valves and pipes were pressure tested, along with all the equipment, the system should maintain vacuum and not lose the water in the filter or pump at your equipment pad. call back the pb and have them inspect it.

Thanks for filling it out. Now if you don't mind, combine a few things so it's no more than 5 line long. Picky, I know! :)

With the sand filter, a common reason to have dirt flowing into the pool is the multiport valve gasket. It could be nicked or just not sealing well. It could also be the o-ring on the stand pipe or a lateral cracked.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.