Below skimmer

Jul 12, 2010
Question:
I am in Ohio. In ground pool. Do most people just drain below the skimmer but keep the water above the other returns? I was at the pool store and they said they just blow out the lines that are below the water level and cap them. They said they don't add antifreeze to these lines (one return and one that pushes water in the pool), but do add it to the skimmer above ground. Does this sound right?
Also, I have found that I probably have some sort of small air leak in my pipes and alway loose my prime if the pump is off for a short while. I am wondering if this will cause problems in the winter.

We drain our pools between 6-8" below the bottom of the skimmer faceplate to allow for water displacement from the rain/wintersnow melt. We add antifreeze to return lines below water by pouring into the return lines then slighty uncrew one till we see some pink seep through then close then we do the same for the others. The air leak will not affect adding antifreeze to your skimmer line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.