Going to larger pump. Other considerations?

Davegvg said:
Cool project, and thats an awesome pool there boss - my personal fav a dedicated shallow and deep area.

I should never do math while sitting home sick a 1.5 HP pump is actually 1119 watts- still a lot.

With poolguy NJ's directional advice and a 24/7 pump run you may find that to be enough- if not i think you are spot on about the 1.5 HP pump.
The stuff that gathers on the top because of poor circulation will whack your free chlorine for sure and getting the top clean will improve your ability to hold the chlorine.

I myself would get a jandy epump 1.5 hp version to do this. I like the pentair pump a bit better, with the exception of the pump pot size, but they are all wickedly powerful and if you have any kind of a logic issue or somehow the pump gets up to full speed without a throttle the full 3 HP could be dangerous to your plumbing. You can run it at full speed during the day and cut it back to 1 HP or less at night.

The epump has the same rare earth magnet tech and will give you cost efficient run times and with a 1.5 HP max even if the pump somehow defaults to full speed you wont risk bursting anything.

(curious - is there a 2 speed pump with 1.5 max and rare earth tech? if so that would be enough rather than a full variable setup)

I think your chlorination "problem" would be ameliorated with better circulation.

Im really surprised you can run any kind of pressure cleaner off a return line in this setup- I wouldnt think it has enough oomph unless you block the other eyes and even then....

As much as I hesitate to ever add "more pump" I think you have this nailed.

Uncle Dave

Given my inexpensive rates for electricity ($.061/Kw/Hr) I don't think cost of the full variable setup is justified. If the increased run time and adjustments to returns don't pay off, I'm leaning toward a 1.5HP 2 speed pump motor. If my understanding of what I've read on this forum is correct, that should be feasible with my current pump by replacing the motor and impeller. If I've missed something there, let me know.

Without the "eyeballs" in the returns there wasn't enough pressure at the Polaris connection to operate it. They provide just enough restriction for it to move properly.

SinistrV6 said:
simicrintz said:
4.1 Buick with TBI in my '68 Jeepster. Not cheap motors to work on, but I love 'em! Got a 225 Oddfire that I'm gonna put in Mama's '66 Half Cab one day.

Gotta love a Jeepster! Hard to find, though.

Not if you know where to look :cool: I'm really liking your ride though; that is sweet :goodjob:

Here's a pic of the Jeepster (the finished one; Mama's is still a work in progress).

Attachments

• Jeepster 001 - Copy.JPG
    Jeepster 001 - Copy.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 59
SinistrV6 said:
Davegvg said:
Given my inexpensive rates for electricity ($.061/Kw/Hr) I don't think cost of the full variable setup is justified. If the increased run time and adjustments to returns don't pay off, I'm leaning toward a 1.5HP 2 speed pump motor. If my understanding of what I've read on this forum is correct, that should be feasible with my current pump by replacing the motor and impeller. If I've missed something there, let me know.

Without the "eyeballs" in the returns there wasn't enough pressure at the Polaris connection to operate it. They provide just enough restriction for it to move properly.

Most of us aren't close to that electricity rate so the two speed is much more economically feasible. I think most of CA is $.40-.60/Kw/Hr marginal cost. I'm "lucky" that we max at .40, at least for now. (which is why I need to break down and change out my perfectly good pump for a 2 speed.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.