Hi - Newby here. This looks like the place. Thanks in advance for your help.
I have a 12k gallon inground pool with vinyl liner, Hayward DE filter.
Got a new test kit (Taylor) before posting. Readings are:
FC - 5ppm+ (5 is the max on my kit)
TC - 5ppm+
AL - 80
PH - 7.2
I have been adding about 8 oz stabilizer per week and about the same algicide. The chlorine
I have been using is in small tabs in the skimmer and dissolves in about a day. I have been
consistently been adding 3 tabs per day. I live in CT and the pool gets direct sun.
I have been running the filter 12 hours per day, changing the DE monthly. Only shocked
the pool when I opened it.
My problem is that I get green algae growth in spots - where the liner has seems and in the
corners mostly. I just brush it off every day or two. The water is very clear. There are flowers
next to the pool which let a fair amount of petals in (organic matter). I use the leaf rake for any
big stuff and brush and vacuum the little stuff weekly,
The questions: Is my chlorine level too high? The algae growth intensifies when I let it go down.
If I shock, do I need to get a better kit to test higher levels of chlorine?
This is my second year of doing my own maintenance. Last year around mid-summer I went away
and the responsible person forgot to add chlorine and I had bad algae growth and shocking cured