Floating pool lights (solar) ?

Aug 23, 2010
Hi,

When we replastered the pool recently, we lost our light because it was no longer up to spec (bringing it up to spec was not worth the cost). It's not too big of a deal but I would like to have some sort of lighting again in the pool, so I was thinking about a floating light, preferably solar powered (we have the sun all day). I came across some el cheapo ones but nothing really too exciting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

simicrintz said:
We'll bury them out here if they have a deck J-Box. Not worth trying to make it compliant and going through the upgrade typically.
Can you be more specific? NEC says the j-box has to be 8" above maximum water line, or 4" above ground level or the pool deck, which ever is greater, and no less than 4 feet from the edge of the water.
What's your definition of a "deck j-box?

We have to be 8" above the water of the body the light services. A deck J-Box is an old style box that is buried in the deck, with the cover flush with the deck.

I see these all the time on the older pools, but they are no longer compliant, and we have to remove concrete and take the conduit back to a suitable location away from the pool (typically these boxes are about 18" off of the coping), at least 10' and a minimum of 8" higher than the water.

I'll try and take a pic next time I see one and post it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.