Second Return and Fountain for Intex Pool

My return actually is the same one the other person had taken a picture of and they thought it wouldn't work or had the wrong threads...I'm just trying to figure out if I could unscrew something and screw in a fountain at nighttime and go back to the regular return during the day. I'm not intending on making a second return at this time.

mark, i just finished up hard plumbing the sand filter and i'm making a fountain like the one you did and would like to know what diameter was the holes that you drilled? i did a 1/4'' but my water seems a bit thick if you know what i mean. i was hoping for a more sprinkler effect! :eek:

jsf0656 said:
mark, i just finished up hard plumbing the sand filter and i'm making a fountain like the one you did and would like to know what diameter was the holes that you drilled? i did a 1/4'' but my water seems a bit thick if you know what i mean. i was hoping for a more sprinkler effect! :eek:
I like what you did to your plumbing. Great Job :goodjob:
I used 1/8 holes on the fountain.

thanks mark! i figured it was 1/8'' but i wanted to check with you. the plumbing went really well. those HD adapters are the trick. i was going to try to duplicate your adapters but i am not that good at advanced work like yours was, but it came out ok. :)

ok, i have reinstalled the new fountain with 1/8'' instead of the 1/4'' holes drilled and spaced out 5 on each side. i tied it in with the return using the old suction port on the pool. since i use the skimmer all the time anyway, i can vaccum thru the skimmer. i used the old over the wall skimmer adapter to attach the fountain using the HD adapters. i will eventually plumb it on the outside. works great! big thanks to mark :wink: here are the pics........[attachment=2:1eon0bzc]2024.jpg[/attachment:1eon0bzc][attachment=1:1eon0bzc]60693.jpg[/attachment:1eon0bzc][attachment=0:1eon0bzc]13186.jpg[/attachment:1eon0bzc]

Attachments

• 2024.jpg
    2024.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,108
  • 60693.jpg
    60693.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,110
  • 13186.jpg
    13186.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,107
[attachment=2:9m4tmefg]29857.jpg[/attachment:9m4tmefg][attachment=1:9m4tmefg]20400.jpg[/attachment:9m4tmefg][attachment=0:9m4tmefg]73207.jpg[/attachment:9m4tmefg]

Attachments

• 29857.jpg
    29857.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,107
  • 20400.jpg
    20400.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,107
  • 73207.jpg
    73207.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 1,098
[attachment=2:36a8ium8]91265.jpg[/attachment:36a8ium8][attachment=1:36a8ium8]84878.jpg[/attachment:36a8ium8][attachment=0:36a8ium8]67691.jpg[/attachment:36a8ium8]

Attachments

• 91265.jpg
    91265.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,105
  • 84878.jpg
    84878.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1,100
  • 67691.jpg
    67691.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 1,104
[attachment=2:39mqmomn]77765.jpg[/attachment:39mqmomn][attachment=1:39mqmomn]28588.jpg[/attachment:39mqmomn][attachment=0:39mqmomn]9034.jpg[/attachment:39mqmomn] :party: :whoot: :cheers:

Attachments

• 77765.jpg
    77765.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,098
  • 28588.jpg
    28588.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 9034.jpg
    9034.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,089
Looks good, jsf0656!

Can I ask you something...if you're not using that port for anything but the fountain, then why not plumb it from the outside so you don't have anything in the pool? I bet that is on the to do list :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
George_ said:
Looks good, jsf0656!

Can I ask you something...if you're not using that port for anything but the fountain, then why not plumb it from the outside so you don't have anything in the pool? I bet that is on the to do list :wink:

right now i just removed the blue cover off the suction fitting and i'm using the old skimmer adapter that came with the pool. i just finished the hard plumbing of the sand filter so probably that will be next on the agenda. my grandkids were over today and they wanted to see the fountain in action so i put it up there for now. i had one of the HD adapters leftover which makes for a tight fit on the old skimmer adapter so its working fine for now! :)

Mark, I am a newbie to this site but i have to say that is really cool what you did with the fountain gig,and the rest of work you have done. I am on my third intex pool I too have the same pool you do but I'm not familiar with the terminology, the .5" pool eyeball you spoke about is this something I can pick up at a pool supply place? I'm not positive where Copperas Cove is but I'm here in Arlington. The one thing I can say about Intex pools are they are tough.. My two boys and half of the neighborhood kids have proved that. I just had to get away from the inflatable top pools. The only issue i have ran into is from my local pool supply company, since it is not a in ground pool they tend to look down on what I have. But at the end of the day when my boys are done with the pool gig I will have a back yard again. Can't say that with a in ground pool.. Once again if you or anybody else out there could fill me in on what a .5" pool eyeball is i would appreciate it. Cause this will be my next project. thanks

The Pool eye is the adjustable return nozzle on your intex pool that returns the filtered water to your pool..Hayward and lots of pool companies make them they are usually have 1 1/2'' threads and you can get them with a 1/2 inch and up adjustable nozzle most pool stores have them or you can pick them up on e-bay for about $5.00...Hope this helps

crookm11 said:
Hi Everyone :wave:
I went ahead and made my first mod to my Intex pool. :party: I created a second return and added a fountain. I used the idea from this post for the fountain http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-water-relief-in-an-intex-pool-t24483.html and this idea of using 1.5 PVC pipe added to the Intex pool fittings http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex-pools-this-is-how-to-run-the-skim-and-main-together-t25132.html. I combined both of the ideas into one contraption :whoot:. The sand filter/pump has more than enough power to run the fountain and second return.

* NOTE * All pipe and fittings are 1.5" PVC.

* Construction *

1. I took a four way fitting and added it to the Intex thru wall fitting.
2. I then added an addapter to alow a .5" pool eyeball for the top return.
3. I then added two ball valves to control the flow to the bottom return and the fountain.
4. After the top ball valve I added a tee and two 12" pipes extending out each side with end caps.
5. After the bottom ball valve I added a 26" pipe and 90' elbow with another .5" pool eyball.

* Function *

The contraption works by turning the ball valves. To control the fountain I just close the bottom valve to the bottom return to create more presure for the fountain. I then open the top ball valve to turn on the fountain. That is it. :party:

* NOTE *

The top return is always flowing water even with the fountain on.

Below are some pictures of the contraption mounted to the pool and running.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Enjoy!!!

Mark

Mark,
The 4-way when it goes through the return in the wall what are you mounting it too or how with the plunger valve there is there something to screw onto that i am missing?

jsf0656 said:
George_ said:
Looks good, jsf0656!

right now i just removed the blue cover off the suction fitting and i'm using the old skimmer adapter that came with the pool. i just finished the hard plumbing of the sand filter so probably that will be next on the agenda. my grandkids were over today and they wanted to see the fountain in action so i put it up there for now. i had one of the HD adapters leftover which makes for a tight fit on the old skimmer adapter so its working fine for now! :)

i finally replumbed the fountain to the outside of the pool using the cantex 1 1/2 box adapters. they are GREAT! no modification, no hassle! perfect fit with the intex hose nuts! here are some pics....[attachment=2:3fq6vxpt]20029.jpg[/attachment:3fq6vxpt][attachment=1:3fq6vxpt]29861.jpg[/attachment:3fq6vxpt][attachment=0:3fq6vxpt]26955.jpg[/attachment:3fq6vxpt]

Attachments

• 20029.jpg
    20029.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 990
  • 29861.jpg
    29861.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 987
  • 26955.jpg
    26955.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 980
[attachment=2:b5b5owo6]43294.jpg[/attachment:b5b5owo6][attachment=1:b5b5owo6]23119.jpg[/attachment:b5b5owo6][attachment=0:b5b5owo6]96504.jpg[/attachment:b5b5owo6]

Attachments

• 43294.jpg
    43294.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,229
  • 23119.jpg
    23119.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 980
  • 96504.jpg
    96504.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 982
jsf065 - great job! This is the next thing I aspire to do, prefering the sprinkler outside the pool too. Quick question, why put the ball valve below the standard return? Wouldn't putting it above the return before the sprinkler head allow you to turn off the sprinkler when you don't want it and let the normal return function, or am I missing something? Seems like you have enough pressure from the picture to run both at the same time. Another question, why the small adapter above the ball valve before the T? I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I only have to build one for mine one time, so thanks for patience with my stupidity. Thanks !

ladylion said:
jsf065 - great job! This is the next thing I aspire to do, prefering the sprinkler outside the pool too. Quick question, why put the ball valve below the standard return? Wouldn't putting it above the return before the sprinkler head allow you to turn off the sprinkler when you don't want it and let the normal return function, or am I missing something? Seems like you have enough pressure from the picture to run both at the same time. Another question, why the small adapter above the ball valve before the T? I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I only have to build one for mine one time, so thanks for patience with my stupidity. Thanks !

i wasnt using the original suction port at all. since installing the skimmer, i decided to use the old return as a dedicated sprinkler. the intex pump provided plenty of power to use them separately. plus i run the skimmer all the time. it keeps the pool very clean! i used a short adapter that i had to lenghten out the connection rather than buying another piece of pipe and cutting it to fit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.