Glacier Pool Chillers are Awesome!

With all this water spraying everywhere, has anyone pulled stats on evaporation rates? Afterall, a huge part of the cooling process by virtue of misting is evaporation.

I want to install a Glacier coling system. Problem is I'm on the large scale for residential pools so I'll need a commercial model. I just don't want people to think I'm parking the space shuttle in my backyard.

I have two of those and we haven't had much luck, not sure what I'm doing wrong. 15k gallon pool with semi-dark bottom, full sun. Dallas, TX. We set the pump and the water wall to run from 10pm to 6pm instead of during the day. Last night the pool was 96 degrees, this am is was 92. Got up to 95 degrees today - will see what it is tomorrow, but with only 1 degree improvement from pm to pm I'm pretty sure i won't see the 8-10 degrees that the mister folks advertised. FYI I only have 3 jets in my pool - 2 using the misters. What am I doing wrong?

I have noticed that the rock wall and the hot tub spillover generally has much warmer water than the pool - seems like the rocks are absorbing heat and transferring to the water.

What do you think - should I add another mister to the pool (last jet) and one in the hottub? Give up and cover the hot tub since I suspect that water is much warmer than pool (since it is smaller body of water)... Or do I need to just shell out the dough and get a chiller?

ANY thoughts are welcome! :) thanks, louise

Another plug for the PVC pipe misters; I have two of them that I run from my Polaris 360 port (basically a full size, rather high pressure port), and it'll bring the temp down anywhere between 6 and 10 degrees overnight in the Dallas, TX area. I can't speak to evaporation because I have an automatic leveler and will sheepishly admit that I have no idea how much water I add at any time. :)

I'd definitely recommend trying the PVC pipe method first before making a big purchase.

Brad

So we are thinking about doing this but I have a few questions. We typically run our pump from 8a-6p daily and the clearner from 11-2p. If I want to run this cooler system, would I have to run my pump at night as well as the day? Also, we have the Polaris cleaner hooked to the return so would we need to unlug that during the night while the cooler is running?

I ended up choosing a pool cooler from mist cooling brand and it works great for a much cheaper price, under $100. cooled our pool by 9-10 degree easy..better than boiling like a crawfish as we did last year. Plus, it's a new style where you don't have to take apart the return, just remove the eyeball and stick it in. They call it a trouble-free pool cooler.pool_cooler_with_adapter_amazon.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We made a PVC sprayer and it’s not helping much at all. Right now our water is 94 at 3pm and it’s been going since 10am. We run our pump 10am-6pm. Maybe I need to change it to run at night?

Beach, you should definitely run during the cooler hours of the day. Think about the heat your pump has to deal with during the hottest part of the day. :shock:

I run my main cleaning from 6-10am, then circulation 11-2pm, then off till 6-9pm. I have a VS pump and my circulation schedule is running at 1500rpm. Much easier on the motor.

Beach, you should definitely run during the cooler hours of the day. Think about the heat your pump has to deal with during the hottest part of the day. :shock:

I run my main cleaning from 6-10am, then circulation 11-2pm, then off till 6-9pm. I have a VS pump and my circulation schedule is running at 1500rpm. Much easier on the motor.

Good point, I’ve never considered the pump.

We made a PVC sprayer and it’s not helping much at all. Right now our water is 94 at 3pm and it’s been going since 10am. We run our pump 10am-6pm. Maybe I need to change it to run at night?

The holes that are drilled in those pool coolers are specifically engineered. They're not random. That is why you can't just drill holes in them and get it to work. For about seventy dollars, you can get one from mist cooling and it'll work, guaranteed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.