How often is normal to add salt

May 21, 2010
I have had swg sytem for about 3 weeks now. I love it to say the least. I had not checked my salt in about a week. It had been staying around 2900, but tonight it was 2500. Why I dont know. I havent lost any water. have gained some cause of rain. I added approximately 16lbs of salt to get it to where it needs to be. Which brings me to my next question. How and the heck does everyone weigh there salt? i had a half a 40lb back so I put a little less than half a bag in it.

The only time you should have to add salt is from splash out or backwash where you have to add water or from rain when you have to drain some water to waste. Salt does not evaporate so as the pool water goes down the salt level will become a little higher.

A couple of hundred ppm variation in the salt reading is not uncommon, but if it keeps going down something is wrong.

I would add a little more salt. Measurements are always approximate. If you have doubts, add less than you think you need, give it 24 hours to mix in, and see what the salt meter says at that point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.