Cloudy water in small pool

We live in a small town. Our pool store is closed on Sunday. The present measurements, taken a few moments ago, are:
Total Hardness: 250
Total Chlorine 3
Free Chlorine 3
PH 7.8
Total Alkalinity 180
Stabilize 50
I found something later that told me I should have first pre-dissolved the PH down in a bucket of water, which I did, and then poured that slowly in front of a return (which I didn't). Not sure if that is why the PH has remained the same. Thanks again. The pool is a little clearer.

Dr. Mary, Brooksville, FL
1) 3800 gals Intex pool, 16 x 42
2) Cartridge Filter 2500 gal. (Intex)
3) AG Pool
4) SWG

I continue to wait on the test kit but have been using the wally world strips. There still has not been much change in the TA or PH. The TA remains at 180 or above while the PH level goes from 7.8 to 8.4 and back to 7.8. I have been unable to bring it down. I have been running the filter continuously and cleaning the filter often. I am using bleach and using muriatic acid. Not sure how much to continue to use and how often. I have been using the pool calculation but my understanding is limited. Is the acid and bleach something that is used daily as general maintenance or is the addition according to the chemicals. I read the basic pool maintenance schedule so I am assuming that if something is too low or two high each day I try to correct. I will have cloudy water although not quite as cloudy as at first. This is an awesome sight. So much to learn, however.

Dr. Mary, Brooksville, FL
1) 3800 gals Intex pool, 16 x 42, 95% direct sun
2) Cartridge Filter 2500 gal. (Intex)
3) AG Pool
4) SWG

Your acid use will depend on a number of environmental factors, in the case of my pool I have not added any acid in about 2 months, then it was only a small fine tuning to lower when the pH hit 7.8.

Ike

Thanks. Nice to know. Should acid be used once a day or continuously during the day until the pH is down? And if continuously, then how much wait time between additions?

I don't know that your pH will rise all that fast but every time it gets to 7.8 pour enough acid in to bring it back down to 7.2. If it does require it several times a day then that's how often to do it.

The more you do it, the lower the TA will get and the less often you'll have to add acid. At some point you'll reach equalibrium or something close to it.

I wouldn't let the TA get lower than 60 but I don't think you'll get that far before things settle down.

No, I have not but the plan is to do it today. Also, I expect that I will receive the better kit I ordered today or tomorrow, then I can compare the pool store with the kit. Can someone also tell me how to change my signature or add a signature so that I do not always have to manually add info? Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally got to the Pool store. Here are the numbers:
TC=3.0
FC=3.0
CC=0
pH=7.4
TA=120
CH-300
Stablizer=30
Total Dissolved Solids=3000
Temperature 85
Langlier Index 0.1

I was told i need to drain pool 1/4 down and fill with fresh water due to Total dissolved solids. Is there a way I can get around this? Is there another option? Also, do I get some stabilizer and if so is it known by same name in store?

You have an SWG so your TDS is going to be high. I bet if you drain some out you'll have to add salt to make the SWG happy. Don't worry about it.

Everything else looks pretty good except your CYA (stabilizer). There are a lot of places to get it. Walmart carries it as well as Lowes and HD. Look for Cyanuric acid as the ingredient. However, Since your pool is the size it is it would be more economical for you to use Dichlor shock to raise the FC and the CYA. Adding 2 lbs would raise your CYA by 32. So a few oz a day for the next couple of weeks would get you there.

I am not sure whether I needed to begin a new post or just ask questions on this post. Please inform. Every two to three days it seems the SWG is saying too much salt. I drained the pool down 20% it was okay about 3 or 4 days then it said too much salt. I have not put salt in it for a while now. I changed the filter, it read fine for a couple of days then today it says high salt. The numbers are:
TH 250
TC 4
FC 10
PH 7.8
TA 120
Stab 50
I do have the Taylor test 2006 but have not started using it yet, waiting for my husband to help me decipher it. Looking for answers as to whether to drain the pool again and if of, what happens if this continues. Is there something else that would make the salt level rise? Also, how do I test the borate level in order to determine how much muriatic acid to use? Thanks

unless you are adding borates to your pool to raise your PH then you shouldn't have any. Either way the effect should be pretty small.

Is the TC=4 and FC=10 a typo?

Outside sources of chlorine will add a small amount of salt to your pool - but again the effect is very small. Nothing that would require water replacement after a few weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.