Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Paint & auto pool cleaners?

1. Back To Top    #1

Paint & auto pool cleaners?

Hello Again,

The surface of my pool is currently painted and it's starting to peel. I plan on getting it removed probably next year, but in the meantime will an automatic pool cleaner have problems with the paint chipping?

Thanks!
    14,000 Gal. IG Plaster
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter W/ 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward Pool Vav Ultra

2. Back To Top    #2
    If you mean 'will it cause the paint to chip more?' that answer is probably yes. Does it chip off when you use a manual vac? If so, definitely yes.

If you mean 'will the autovac be able to handle the paint chips?' I don't know.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    We got some paint chips in the pool in the spring when we were cleaning up the coping and the Dolphin handled then without any problems. I could see where large strips of paint could jam up the works but smaller bits can be handled by most cleaners.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks!

I'm going to try the Pool buster, hopefully with the additional fine basket it'll be able to take the sand & paint chips
    14,000 Gal. IG Plaster
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter W/ 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward Pool Vav Ultra