Numbers post partial drain and refill...

If a big sump is expensive, you might consider one of the smaller submersibles at HD/Lowe's. They have several models from which to choose and for about 60 bucks, you can get one that'll pump about 25 gpm or so. Just drop it in the bottom of the pool with a garden hose attached and it'll do the rest.

I bought one for that purpose and have probably used it 20 times for other projects....pretty handy device.

I'm also a new pool owner dealing with very high CYA levels.

I found a submersible pump at lowe's for $80, hooked up a garden hose and dropped it into the deep end of the pool. Much faster draining than the little spigot attached to the filter.

I've done a 50% drain & fill and will probably do another soon, since CYA is still very high. This also had the benefit of bringing my CH down from ~1160 to 700.

Good luck with your pool.

Thanks for the advise. I bought the $70 pump from my local Lowes and dropped it in last night. By morning it was done with about 50% of the water. Will leave it in for a couple of more hours and then refill. Hopefuly this should bring the CYA and CH numbers within a manageable range.

Question: Is it OK to drain more than 50% or is it not recommended ? I was thinking of draining out at least 80% of the water??

Not worth the risk to drain 80%, IMHO. If you have a high water table and your pool pops up, you're done....no reasonable way to fix the damage.

With a 50% drain, you'll cut the CYA in half and then you can drain again if you need to adjust.

Agreed.. It has already drained about 60% so will start filling it in. Also I was thinking of adding a jug of Clorox to the water still left at the bottom to clean things up.. is it a good idea to do so ? or, should I wait for the pool to fill up, check the numbers and then add clorox ?

A little bleach now is good if you can mix it in enough. Pour slowly near the refill water stream and it should be fine. Even better, do that and also mix things up a little more with a brush after adding the bleach to be sure it is well mixed.

Results after partial drain and refill

Here are the numbers after a 2/3 drain and refill...

FC: 3 + (need to do a FAS DPD)
CC: 0
pH: 8.0
CYA: 60
TA: 170
CH: 330
Temp: 67

Based upon the numbers above I went ahead and added enough acid to bring the pH down to 7.6. Plan is to add more acid to bring it down to 7.2 and aereate for a better control over the TA.

Questions:

1. Should I shock the pool as almost 2/3 of the water has been replaced ?

1. Should I shock the pool as almost 2/3 of the water has been replaced ?

As long as you
1. have your FC up in the 4-8 range and less than 1ppm CC's
2. your water looks clear
3. is not consuming chlorine overnight (less than 1-2ppm) then there is really no need to shock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks.. The only reason I want to shock it now is to avoid any algae issues due to the fresh TAP water. Also I noticed some "green" on the filter when I cleaned it yesterday which makes me nervous about a potential bloom.

comments..?

As long as the chlorine level holds you are fine. Get the chlorine level to the ideal for your CYA this afternoon and it should be totally fine.

Some people like to shock in this situation, and it won't hurt anything, but I don't think it is needed most times.

Overnight Chlorine Loss numbers

I added the chlorine last night and did a FAS-DPD. Repeated the test today morning and I had lost about 2.5 ppm overnight. Is this normal or is there something lurking in the water..?

Re: Overnight Chlorine Loss numbers

saraiks said:
I added the chlorine last night and did a FAS-DPD. Repeated the test today morning and I had lost about 2.5 ppm overnight. Is this normal or is there something lurking in the water..?
After adding the chlorine last night, how long did you wait before performing the test?

Good work...that should've distributed the chlorine evenly in that time giving you an accurate reading.

My thinking is that a 2.5ppm loss is on the fence. It suggests you still have some organics in the pool but also suggests that it's not very much and normal FC levels will clear them fairly soon.

So it ends up as your choice. If you'd like to shock, there's no harm done...just let the FC come on back down to maintenence levels on it's own. If you prefer not to, I believe your existing FC will clear the remaining organics and give you a clear pool...just may take a little bit longer to do it.

Thanks for the advice. Will monitor the PM/AM FC levels closely over the next few days (it's a long weekend anyway!). If it starts loosing any more overninght then shock it else keep it on a maintenance dose and keep working on lowering the TA...!

The numbers are
FC 10
CC 0
Overnight FC drop is < 0.5 ppm.
CYA 60
TA 140
pH 7.5
CH 330
temp 72

The water looks almost clear. I can see the drain in the deepest part (7.5 ft).
Plan to drop pH and aereate again to get a better TA reading.

What else can I do to improve the water clarity ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.