New to SWG...Help!

reallytiredteacher

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2009
Southern Missouri
I'm working on balancing my water so my hubby can rig up the SWG tomorrow.
We live in a small town and neither of the 2 pool supply places even know what a strip to test for only salt is. They wanna give me bottle of those strips that test chlorine, ph, etc... (Eeew. No one would buy it!)

So here are my questions (I've read a couple Pool School articles and browsed this board a few times but haven't quite found my answers):

1) Do I just drag the giant honkin bags of salt to the pool, cut em open, and dump one in? A bag at a time? All bags at once or just half of them? All in one area? Deep end or all over? I'm clueless.

2) Then do I just leave filter running and just leave them or stir it or what?

3) I have no strips to test for salt levels and could kick myself b/c I just ordered new TF test kit refills the other day and never thought about needing to test for salt, just assumed the SWG would do it for me! So do I need to wait for something to test the salt with? Or just go ahead and add the salt? Once it dissolves good then surely the levels will be high enough to turn on the SWG. I have 600lbs of pool salt for my 22,000 gallon pool.

4) Also, I've been working for a wk and a half to get my TA down to appropriate SWG levels. I've never had to worry with it before since I have a vinyl liner. My TA was 210 and now its 140 so I still have work to do to get it down. Should I get the TA all the way down where it needs to be before adding any salt? That could take another wk, but I'll wait if I need to.

5) I've already raised my CYA to 50 and will up it more once the generator is going. I did shock this past wk b/c I didn't realize by upping the CYA I needed to drastically increase the FC and I grew a little algae last weekend. That's all fixed now, but my FC is still at 16 if that make a difference. That also makes me think I should wait and add salt in a few days when it comes down to 7.

I love this forum and will not stress b/c I know help and answers are on their way!
Thanks Guys n Gals! :-D

1) Yep, just drag em over there and cut em open and dump em all in there.

2) Leave the filter running and stir it around so it's not just one big pile.

3) If you're pretty confident in the size of your pool and you use the Pool Calc you'll be really close if you add the amount it suggest. Maybe lower your goal by a bag or two to account for any salt in the water already.

4) I wouldn't wait. You'll bring it down while you're adjusting the pH down every time it raises.

5) Go ahead and add the salt. It could take a couple of days for it to mix in and the reading to stabilize before the SWCG will run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.