Our first pool build - Central Texas - Now with water!

Re: Our first pool build - Central Texas

Looking good :goodjob:

I noticed they are shooting dry gunite. Is that the norm by you, or do they use shotcrete also? Is that HP Gunite doing the work?

All the PB's we talked to do gunite (4, not an exhaustive list, but some of the biggest names in central TX), and yes, that is HP Gunite - I noticed today there trucks have an Escondido, CA address on them.

IIRC, HP started in Texas, and have made their way out here (I am in Escondido). Ernie (I think that is his name :oops: ) has been here for quite a while, and I see the trucks around.

Funny HP story: A contractor buddy of mine is building a pool, and gets a call one day (from Ernie). Ernie says that he needs to talk to him, and the contractor has no clue who he is. Seems Ernie was supposed to shoot the pool next door to my contractor buddy, but shot the wrong pool :shock: My buddy is a hard core shotcrete guy, and he ain't real happy! Ernie (to his credit) says he won't charge the guy for the job (I'm not sure he would have had a leg to stand on anyway), and that he is sorry. My buddy (to his credit) understands that mistakes happen, and pays anyway. To my knowledge, the job turned out fine and there have been no issues!

I thought the trucks looked familiar!

We've been away for a couple days, but they started masonry work today. But rain made a big mud pit in my backyard, so that forced them to break early.

Bruce, I'll have to really that story to the PB, the HP guys are long gone now - that was fun to watch.

There's going to be some natural stone at the waterline, topped by some even bigger stone, and the rest is flagstone.

Attachments

• DSC_0408.jpg
    DSC_0408.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC_0405.jpg
    DSC_0405.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC_0401.jpg
    DSC_0401.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 339

More rain here in Austin, so its slowing things down a little, but that is good because we'll be out of town for a week. I'm going to miss seeing the progress. Here's the latest.

I just got done taking the opportunity to lay some conduit for future lighting where the cement patio will go. Nothing like being one with your shovel and some dirt and rock fill.

Is this jobsite messier than most? These guys have garbage and cans and trowels and cords all over the place.

Until next week, Kelly

Attachments

• DSC_0421.jpg
    DSC_0421.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC_0419.jpg
    DSC_0419.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC_0412.jpg
    DSC_0412.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 309

Some guys treat other people's homes like a job site, and others treat it like someone's home. I tell the guys that it is a job for you, but someone lives there, and you need to respect that.

I'd be embarrassed if my guys left a mess like that.

I think you pool is going to look stunning. I just noticed that it will match the back of your house as it seems to be done in large rock/slate.

Brentr said:
I think you pool is going to look stunning. I just noticed that it will match the back of your house as it seems to be done in large rock/slate.
Thanks!
Credit goes to DW, and the designer who knew exactly what she wanted. It works out well because she's all about the looks and I'm all about the mechanics and chemistry.

kellyj said:
Brentr said:
Thanks!
Credit goes to DW, and the designer who knew exactly what she wanted. It works out well because she's all about the looks and I'm all about the mechanics and chemistry.
Amen to that :bowdown:
Same here :cheers: :cheers:

Just got back today from Montana - family reunion. Some pictures of the progress. Patio and equipment are in, just need finishing touches and the a final check-thru before plaster.

It made me nervous to be gone because it is going faster than expected, but things look OK. I don't like the electrical on the back of the house instead of the front.

The worst news is that my Rola-Chem pump got lost by UPS, and the replacement just came, but the plumber is gone and the electrician finished his work on the equipment pad - I'll have to see if they can get it done yet.

Kelly

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 245
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 244

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I'm in Leander, going on 2 yrs with my pool with Oklahoma Flagstone and the SWG. I have to say after having a pool without the SWG and one with, I am glad I went with the SWG but everyone is different. Your pool is looking good and with the 100 deg temps, can't be done too soon!

Starsky said:
with the 100 deg temps, can't be done too soon!

No kidding! It seems the hotter it gets the slower construction goes :| - and we just want to be able to cool off :!:

Your probably right in that I coulda' done a SWG, but at the time I was making the decision, a friend in Round Rock was needing to replace his after 3 years and was complaining about seeling his rock 2 times a year. Funny how everyone's perception is altered so easily.

More progress has been made (deck stain and arbor built) and we are ready for plaster tomorrow. We have a pebble product going in called wet-edge, our choice of color being a little darker blue named "Midnight Ocean." Then an acid wash on Saturday and then the hoses go in!

Now I got to work on the landscaping :?

Attachments

• DSC_0693.jpg
    DSC_0693.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC_0695.jpg
    DSC_0695.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 160

Plaster today, then acid wash tomorrow. DW took pictures today, so she must be getting into cataloguing the progress!

Attachments

• DSC_0704.jpg
    DSC_0704.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_0703.jpg
    DSC_0703.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_0696.jpg
    DSC_0696.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 139

absolutely lovely Kelly!
The raised sides does not only bring an awesome look to it but will also prevent debris to blow into the water. Both functional and estethic attractive. Can't wish for more, can you :)

How is the weather in TX btw? I guess it's hot there right now. My wife spend time there when she was young and she always talk about how extremly hot is was.

Henry Porter said:
How is the weather in TX btw? I guess it's hot there right now. My wife spend time there when she was young and she always talk about how extremly hot is was.

Hot, too hot, need water in my pool hot. Last few weeks have been consistently in the 99-105 F range, with next week's forcast the same. My wife and I are both from Montana, maybe not as cold as Sweden, and I miss the comfortable summers and the snow. We have neither in Texas, but my wife likes it that way, which is why I still live in Texas. :|

If your wife ever wants to revisit Texas, y'all can cool off in our pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.