Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover on or off for fastest heating?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover on or off for fastest heating?

It's our first 90 degree day of the summer and the pool has been open for a week! What's the latest on how to heat the pool the fastest, cover on or cover off?
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover on or off for fastest heating?

Depends. If you have dry air and/or wind, certainly leave it on. Not sure how your Denver weather is. With humid/still air, word on the street is that taking it off helps, but for the easiness factor I'd just leave it on when you're not in the pool.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

At the tone, the temp is 91.3, humidity is 21%, wind is SSW 3.4 mph and a relative pressure of 24.51. I love my new weather station!
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley N
    At the tone, the temp is 91.3, humidity is 21%, wind is SSW 3.4 mph and a relative pressure of 24.51. I love my new weather station!
    Our pool seems to heat faster with the cover on and the pump runs less, great on electricity.

I am interested in a weather station. Can you share with me what make and model number is you weather station and where you purchased it from?
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

5. Back To Top    #5

It's a La Crosse Heavy Weather Pro and I got it at Costco last November for around $90. I don't see the exact same thing on their web site. It has a stick that goes into a port in my computer that sends the current weather data there and records a history of readings. You can make graphs, but I haven't spent the time to figure that out yet.

It's not meant to last the ages, but I do hope it lasts a few years.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO