Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Water from return

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Water from return

Please help, I am battling green color algae right now. As instructed by my pool place I added 3 pounds of Shock and 5-6 ozs of Clarifier and Algaecide. the next day it was still green and chlorine reading still low, added 2 more lbs of Shock and Clarifier and Algaecide. Pool is not green anymore, however it is very cloudy and algae settled at bottom. Chlorine reading is 3-5. I tried to vacuum the pool and when I do green water comes out of the return. I tried backwashing and rinsing my sand filter and vacumming again and it is still happening, please help, I am so frustrated with this. thanks! I have a 18' above ground pool with a Jacuzzi sand filter.
    11,500 gal. rectangular cement, 11 x 28 (built c1930); Hayward S180T sand filter; Hayward Max-Flo II 3/4 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Water from return

You may have to run the backwash/rinse cycle longer or a few more repetitions to clear the sand filter of the dead algae.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

Will try that again thanks!
    11,500 gal. rectangular cement, 11 x 28 (built c1930); Hayward S180T sand filter; Hayward Max-Flo II 3/4 HP pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If I understand your first post, you are getting debris coming from the returns while you are vacuuming.....not just after backwashing.....is that correct?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

While you're answering Dave's question go ahead and post a full set of test results.

pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA

I really don't think you're through shocking yet. Read Defeating Algae & How to Shock Your Pool in Pool School.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Also vacuum to waste if you can until your pool is cleared.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, that is correct, while I am vacuuming my return water is coming out green. On just the normal filter cycle it is not.

8. Back To Top    #8

I vacuumed to my waste and everything was okay. Tested my water and my alkalinity was high at 230. My water is no longer green, but it is very cloudy. What should I do now??? I shocked it again this morning and added 1oz of clarifier to it.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just so I have this right, are you saying green water and debris are going into the pool when you vacuum, or that when you vacuum you are seeing green water and debris coming out of the discharge hose onto the ground or wherever your waste water goes?

You will be done shocking the pool when your FC number holds overnight (dusk til dawn) with only a 1ppm drop, your CC is .5 or less, and the water is clear. The filter should be running 24/7 while you are in the shock process. We really need to see a set of current test numbers to give you the best advice. If you do not have a test kit, have the pool store test a sample and get a copy of the results to post here. Don't buy anything else from the pool store. Anything you just added to the water, such as clarifier will take a couple of days to work if it works at all.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!