PH 7.5
    TA 130
    cya 5.0

Leslies says
    FC 6
    cc 0
    ph 7.8
    cya 100

I am pretty confident My tests are more reliable than leslies.

The real problem is I had clear and good water when I left home{fc was at 6 but I added some extra bleach just to be on the safe side) Fri when I cam back sunday the water was clear but lots of algee on the bottom of the pool. This is the second time this has happen. I thought that if I had at lest 3 ppm of clorine. I should not have algee.
    I have been testing every day and adding bleach everyday. Is this normal. Should I have to add bleach every day and if so how much. I have stopped using the clorine tablets. Now the pool is cloudy because of all of the algee on the bottom) Note I have done the cya test twice and its 5.0 I am sure. What to do?
    Thanks in advance
    Retired Army and still serving.
    18X54 round above ground pool
    Sand Filter, 1hp pump
    TF 100 Test Kit
    Rover Jr robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I am confused

Are you using the correct CYA view tube - it's got the black dot at the bottom and is long and thin...the bottom number is 20...so you can't get a result for 5.0
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

First thing is that, yes you have to add bleach every day. Once you get to know your pool you might be able to figure out how much to add every other day but to begin with you have to add every day. Second, Your CYA number looks suspect. I know you said you checked it twice but the first number on the view tube is 20 and it gets higher as you go to the bottom. You should be using equal parts of R-0013 and pool water. Shaking it up then give it 30 seconds and shake it again before slowly pouring it into the view tube until the black dot disappears.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

yep a typo at the first test it was 50 I retested it more closer to 40. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Sand Filter, 1hp pump
    TF 100 Test Kit
    Rover Jr robot cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, that's good
    Are you sure it's algae on the bottom of the pool you are seeing? Perhaps it could be dust/dirt/pollen (many folks confuse pollen for dead algae). It could be dead algae though. You need to do an overnight FC loss test to rule out organics.

Overnight FC Loss Test
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

I did last night and It did not change from last night to this morning 5.5 last night and 5.5 this morning cc'c where .that will change from 0 to .5 It may be dead algee. The problem is once I start vacuming, the pool gets all cloudy. When we got home The pool was clear with green stuff on the bottom of the pool. It became cloudy after I tried to clean it up. Its a lot clearer this mornig. I was thinking if my pool has a fc of 6 I should not have any algee, but I guess the clorine is killing the algee. I need to figure out how to clean it with out making the pool cloudy.
    Thanks in advance
    Sand Filter, 1hp pump
    TF 100 Test Kit
    Rover Jr robot cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

The only trick I can give you is that when vacuuming go really slow and methodically. When I'm vacuuming dirt or dust I go slow enough that the suction from the vacuum starts pulling the dirt into the vacuum before the head gets to it. I didn't see where you listed the type of filter you have but can try using a skimmer sock or two to catch the fine stuff and keep it from reentering the pool. Or if it's sand you can try adding a little D.E. to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

another question. My pool today started at 5.5 and tonight it was at 2 is that too much of a difference? Can I raise it to say 7 so it doesn't drop too much?
    Sand Filter, 1hp pump
    TF 100 Test Kit
    Rover Jr robot cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

My pool today started at 5.5 and tonight it was at 2 is that too much of a difference? Can I raise it to say 7 so it doesn't drop too much?
    I would say that's a reasonable drop. It may get a little less as you get comfortable with the testing. Yeah, if you go to 6-7ppm, you'll likely drop down to around 4, that's a good range for your CYA of 40.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all the help. I think I am getting the idea. Today the pool is clear, but not super clear like some picture I have seen here. Thanks for the help.
    Sand Filter, 1hp pump
    TF 100 Test Kit
    Rover Jr robot cleaner