Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help me estimate the volume of my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help me estimate the volume of my pool

I asked in a different thread, but I think it got lost in the plethora of information.

My pool is an in-ground vinyl rectangle. We measured it yesterday and it is 18' x 36'. I'm not at all sure of the average depth. The shallow end was 3' (measured a foot or so away from the edge), and under the diving board was 8 1/2 ' (or thereabouts). I've spent some time raking around in there looking for submerged gunk and also done some vacuuming. The bottom "corners" seem to be pretty rounded. I guess that's typical for vinyl?

I am eager to start using the pool calculator but a good volume seems vital.
    Elizabeth

Newbie with 18 x 36 rectangular pool, estimated at 18,000 gallons, sand filter, inground w/vinyl liner, SWCG

(Plus a houseful of nearly grown kids)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help me estimate the volume of my pool

Round figures, 24000 gallons. It can vary a lot, depening on the slop of the pool. Is the shallow end long, and then a sudden dropoff? Or is it pretty much a smooth grade? Are there any steps or swim shelves?

Use 24000 for now. If, after using pool calculator, you're not seeing the results you expect, try increasing or decreasing the volume on the calculator until the results match the estimate. You'll get close in a week or so.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Round figures, 24000 gallons. It can vary a lot, depening on the slop of the pool. Is the shallow end long, and then a sudden dropoff? Or is it pretty much a smooth grade? Are there any steps or swim shelves?

I don't know. We can't see through the murky nastiness. The steps at the shallow end are . . . :checking visual dictionary: . . . built-in steps. When we measured the length we did not include the steps. (Very helpful, that visual dictionary!).

Use 24000 for now. If, after using pool calculator, you're not seeing the results you expect, try increasing or decreasing the volume on the calculator until the results match the estimate. You'll get close in a week or so.
    Sounds great! Thanks, Richard!
    Elizabeth

Newbie with 18 x 36 rectangular pool, estimated at 18,000 gallons, sand filter, inground w/vinyl liner, SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

I guess around 21,000 or 22,000 gallons, assuming the walls in the deep end slope in after the first 3 feet, instead of going straight down.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay, I'm going to split the difference and call it 23,000 until it get a better handle on how it reacts to the chemicals. My test kit should be here today or tomorrow, I hope!
    Elizabeth