Automatic Cover Pump Recommendation

Oct 30, 2008
We have a Viking fiberglass pool with a Coverstar automatic cover. We're getting ready to open the pool in a few weeks and need a new cover pump. Our old one was a Rule, and has run great in the almost 3 years that we've owned this house, but last fall, failed right before we closed the pool. We are not at the house full time, and we arrived to find almost 6" of water sitting on the cover.

We're looking for an automatic cover pump that will keep the cover free of water. So far, we've seen 2 available on line that seem to be most similar to what we have - a Rule 1800 H53SP-24 or the Mighty Wizard K1011.

Any recommendations as to the best automatic cover pump?

Thanks,
Marie

I have both of those and like the Rule just a little better. It is strange that it comes on for a moment every few minutes, water or not, but I got used to it. The Rule is better at detecting water, the water level switch on the Mighty Wizard can get clogged and not come on. The base on the Rule is also better at letting water through when there is lots of debris that might clog the pump. The Mighty Wizard can get clogged much more easily and will then run forever without moving any water. On the other hand the Mighty Wizard seems to move more water.

I posted a rant about the rule pump in this thread...look at the end:
how-do-people-get-the-water-off-their-ig-winter-cover-t9840.html

That said, nothing is perfect, but if you get the rule make sure you can read the manufacture date on the side and be prepared to be without a pump for a solid month if you need a warranty replacement.
Also a quick make sure the screws in the bottom are tight and bead of silicone around where the cord goes into the pump before you get it wet.

I tore my old one apart and water had dripped into it from the top where the cord goes in and destroyed not only the logic board, but rusted the bearings in the motor (I was gonna hard wire it to be on when plugged in since I thought the logic board was dead, motor was shot too).
I only had this pump for 5 months.

Good luck with your purchase

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.