Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak problem

I saw a link on the site that had instructions for how to tell if the leak is on the suction or pressure side. If anyonw knows where it is please post it for me.

Also I saw a product on hear that is put into the leaking pipe and it supposedly would stop up the leak. Similar to tire "goo".
    Does anyone know the product and the results. My leak is small. 1/8 to quarter inch per day. It may work.

Thanks
    Roy

p.s. gonna join the site as soon as my account has the deposits from paypal come into my cheking.
    Madison, MS 22,000 gal Salt Water. Intellichclor generator. Pentair sand filter. Waterfall.

My name is Roy.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak problem

What makes you think the leak is in the plumbing? Have you done the bucket test? 1/2" a day can be due to evaporation depending on conditions.

Also, first you should check the skimmer, lights, shell, etc before assuming it is plumbing. My leaks have been around where the drains and plaster meet.

If you have a leak in the suction side plumbing, typically you will get air in the line and will see it in the pump basket. Leaks on the pressure side tend to increase when the pump is running, so you could do the bucket test 1 day with the pump on and one day with the pump off.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In Madison, MS and only losing ¼" per day? I'd say you're gaining water not losing it!

If you did the bucket test it'd be hard to measure accurately a loss of 1/8".
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually I have dug down and can see where the water is coming out of the gunite. I pump the water out of the hole every nite and it is back in the morning. I have dye tested and puttied everything possible. I am pretty sure it is a pipe I just don't know which one. I would like to know before I start chipping away gunite. I have shut everything off this morning and will check it again in the morning.

Also I do have a few bubbles in the pump basket. They are about the size of quarter or a little bigger. they never really go away.
    Madison, MS 22,000 gal Salt Water. Intellichclor generator. Pentair sand filter. Waterfall.

My name is Roy.

5. Back To Top    #5

If it's leaking where a pipe goes through the wall that should be repairable from the inside. If it's the pipe itself that may be a bit more challenging.

If the bubble in the pump basket never gets any bigger than a quarter I wouldn't worry about it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit