Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What sand to use?

1. Back To Top    #1

What sand to use?

Just cleaned out my filter sand because I was having problems turning the valve handle and had dirty water filtering back into the pool.

Problem - 5 year since I bought sand, what is the right sand to buy. My son in law has some bags lying around but they dont seem right. Too fine, sludgy grey in colour when in water or turns the water bright orange.

Appreciate any points please - going to be a hot day tomorrow.
    Oval 18'x12' Quick Up Pool. 16" Sandfilter. FSP400 3/4hp pump. Duratech3 heat exchange pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What sand to use?

You want it to specifically say pool filter sand.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

It sounds like your multiport valve is/was having problems. Did you take care of that?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys

I couldnt find any sand tonight so put the old stuff back after I cleaned out the filter tank and re seated the spokes. Will prime it in the morning to check if the valve works ok. But its working fine whilst detached from the tank so perhaps the problem was the spokes needed reseating.

Fingers crossed.
    Oval 18'x12' Quick Up Pool. 16" Sandfilter. FSP400 3/4hp pump. Duratech3 heat exchange pump.