Nutgrass growing through liner again

hawkins3

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
Eastern NC
I'm seeking the forum's advice on my supervisor's behalf ...

Her 24x52 AGP was installed in May 2009. They live in a new subdivision ... less than 5 years ago it was a tillable crop field. Within a month after the pool was up & running, lots of sprigs of nutgrass started growing through the liner. Turns out the installer used some of the backhoed dirt along with the sand in the bottom. Because of that, they forced the installer to come back out, remove that liner, redo the sand, put pramatol down & then install a new liner (25 gauge).

When outside last night, she noticed 1 or 2 sprigs growing through again. Needless to say, she's stressed completely out & doesn't think the original installer will do anything again a year later. She called a local PB who told her he would remove the liner, use another chemical that he says will kill anything that's growing/will grow, & install another liner. His liner cost (not including install) is $1200 & told her that liners purchased online are not of the same quality as his. He also said he recommended putting down some type of hardbottom pan & doesn't recommend a gorilla pad. By the time they pay him for his materials & labor, it will probably be $2000 plus.

My main question for the experts here ... is he feeding her a bunch of bs about "his liner" being better quality than what she can purchase online? Wouldn't his 25-gauge be the same as any other 25-gauge? He also said there are some liners treated with herbicide but that $1200 was not for that type of liner.

Also, any other advice about killing/preventing this aggressive nutgrass growth is very much appreciated.

By the way, we also used the same installers & process of using pramatol with our pool build in July 2009 (same 25 gauge liner as well). I just watched them very carefully to make sure they didn't put any untreated dirt in along with the sand. And we probably did "overkill" with the pramatol granules & made very sure they were completely wetted since it's water activated. That's the one step she's not 100% sure about ... whether or not their pramatol was wet before the liner install. I knew about the problems they had with nutgrass & didn't want a repeat. Of course, we live in a 60-year-old+ house with an obviously well-established yard of mainly centipede grass.

I told her this forum should be able to provide excellent advice! Thanks in advance for your help!

He's feeding her a line. His liner is made by the same people that make all the liners. There are only a few people that make liners and everybody buys from them.

I highly recommend Gorilla bottom. If installed correctly it's warrantied against nutgrass growing through it.

Being that her pool is already installed I'd call around to a few installers and ask how they'd handle the problem. On my sisters pool they came back and injected some herbicide in the ground under the pool and patched the liner and that was 4 years ago. She hasn't had any grow since.

Wow, her installer is a real winner - NOT. Good liners are available online for much less than that with free shipping.

Unfortunately, some PB have us over a barrel with the online ordering thing...a couple years ago mine refused to install a liner not purchased through them. I had no choice but to go through them as the other pool place wasn't taking new customers at the time....

Glyphosate (Roundup) eliminates nutsedge fairly well. The problem is that it doesn't persist long and requires repeat applications (no worky for pool purposes then). Then, there is halosulfuron. I can't recall the brand name but it is pretty much THE herbicide for nutsedge control. You can get it at agri-supply places. You need to add a surfactant to it but you can pretty much just put it in a pump sprayer and spray the area where the liner will sit. Combining it with MSMA wouldn't be a bad idea either but MSMA is getting hard to find now.

There is also atrazine, sold as Image. Also good nutsedge and other grassy weed control but it is really expensive.

I would go for the halosulfuron and then use a Gorilla bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.