Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's with all the beetles?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's with all the beetles?

It's interesting watching my pool evolve. Since the cleanup, I've dealt with a couple weeks of pollen, a couple of weeks of heavy leaf fall. The newest infestation is beetles.

There's literally dozens of beetles every day that appear floating dead on top of the water. This is on top of the 100+ I pulled out of the skimmer sock! They're black, about 1/2" long in color and they are all dead. Before this week, I never saw a beetle in the pool. Now I have tons of them!
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's with all the beetles?

Quote Originally Posted by denisbaldwin
    It's interesting watching my pool evolve. Since the cleanup, I've dealt with a couple weeks of pollen, a couple of weeks of heavy leaf fall. The newest infestation is beetles.

There's literally dozens of beetles every day that appear floating dead on top of the water. This is on top of the 100+ I pulled out of the skimmer sock! They're black, about 1/2" long in color and they are all dead. Before this week, I never saw a beetle in the pool. Now I have tons of them!
    They aren't lovebugs, are they? I had the misfortune to drive to the panhandle once during the fall lovebug hatch. I didn't think I'd ever get the squashed ones washed off of the car!
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Down here in Texas we have a few weeks when the "June" bugs fill the skimmer to capacity every morning. They are similar to what you describe. I grew up in KY. The bugs we called "June" bugs there were larger with more iridescence than the ones here. At any rate, it is a regular thing here. They really start stinking if you don't keep your waste container, where you dump the skimmer contents, emptied every other day or so.

Over the past couple of decades, with so much climatic changes, there are lots of "critters" appearing in places they commonly don't inhabit or didn't before. Sometimes it is occasional and you wont' see them the next year but sometimes they stay. We are pretty into bugs and keep a dissecting microscope in our kitchen. Every year, since we've been here, going on 24 years, I spot at least one new "bug" I've never seen before, out this way.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

gg, I remember those extra-large june bugs too! We "poor mountain kids" used to catch them and tie strings to their legs and fly 'em like a kite. (well, until their legs popped off anyway ) Gosh we were evil kids.
    WV Girl

Custom "L" shape IG gunite pool, 36K gal., main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, hayward heat pump, hayward 1.5hp pump with booster pump, ozonator, 4 cartridge filter.
    one dear hubby, two waterlogged kids, and lots of good times!

5. Back To Top    #5

I am currently filling my pool and it's the June Bug time of the year here. I have been digging oodles of them out of my pool every morning - it's worse for me since my pool sits right under our large utility yard light which I am sure is attracting them. They are the great big "almond in the shell" sized June Bugs. There have been years during the "migration" where I have scooped out thousands of them and had to haul them away in a wheelbarrow so that they don't smell! The Magpies and Crows appreciate it though - Breakfast boys!
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

6. Back To Top    #6

It's fixin' to be june bug city down here. We try our best to NOT use the pool light around this time because of it. I remember one night last year when I forgot to turn the pool light off prior to going to bed. Got up the next morning to a skimmer full of june bugs.

Yep, I did say "fixin" too. I'm from Texas if "yall" couldn't tell.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

7. Back To Top    #7

LOL - NO really? Texas - I couldn't tell Maybe I should throw in some hotdish references since I am from MinneSOda - Junebug hotdish? Ewww - maybe for the crows or something.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    LOL - NO really? Texas - I couldn't tell Maybe I should throw in some hotdish references since I am from MinneSOda - Junebug hotdish? Ewww - maybe for the crows or something.

My wife is from out dere Minnesoda way. She makes a good hotdish. That's how I know what uff da means. Her sister and bro in law will be here for a week tomorrow so it's gonna sound like we are on the set of Fargo.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dlduvall
    gg, I remember those extra-large june bugs too! We "poor mountain kids" used to catch them and tie strings to their legs and fly 'em like a kite. (well, until their legs popped off anyway ) Gosh we were evil kids.
    As kids, we did the same thing in Charleston, SC

.........but we learned how to do it from our Tennessee born & raised mom
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    My wife is from out dere Minnesoda way. She makes a good hotdish. That's how I know what uff da means. Her sister and bro in law will be here for a week tomorrow so it's gonna sound like we are on the set of Fargo.
    Well alright then. Ya, you just enjoy them there Minnesoda folks down for a visit and don't be servin no Junebug Hotdish.

11. Back To Top    #11

We learned the June bug toy from Coal Miners Daughter, my Mom. Momma didn't teach us this but there's the lightning bug rings, from lighting bug behinds. And sound toys from the whirlies off of trees; another one of Momma's. I don't remember. Do the whirlies come from Maple trees? There aren't many of those out here. In fact I've spent years exploring my woods and have never seen a maple.

gg= coal miner grand daughter
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    We learned the June bug toy from Coal Miners Daughter, my Mom. Momma didn't teach us this but there's the lightning bug rings, from lighting bug behinds. And sound toys from the whirlies off of trees; another one of Momma's. I don't remember. Do the whirlies come from Maple trees? There aren't many of those out here. In fact I've spent years exploring my woods and have never seen a maple.

gg= coal miner grand daughter
    Yes, the whirlybirds are from maple trees. My neighbor has a silver maple in his front yard that dumps prodigious amounts of them every spring, usually on my pool cover, my gutters, my driveway, my flower beds, etc.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

13. Back To Top    #13

Back to the original poster's question...I don't have a solution but I have to deal with these beetles at this time of the year too (I'm on the Mississippi Gulf Coast or BP's dumping ground as it's known these days). I find them dead in the garage constantly and they LOVE my pool. Kinda creepy when you're swimming at night (the only time I see 'em) but I don't know of a solution. I bought some broadcast pesticide for the lawn yesterday that says it kills Japanese Beetles (that's what I think these are). Maybe it'll help, maybe not. We'll see.
    42X16X24 True-L vinyl lined IG pool
    30,500 gallons
    Pool Pilot Digital SWG
    Sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by SinistrV6
    Back to the original poster's question...I don't have a solution but I have to deal with these beetles at this time of the year too (I'm on the Mississippi Gulf Coast or BP's dumping ground as it's known these days). I find them dead in the garage constantly and they LOVE my pool. Kinda creepy when you're swimming at night (the only time I see 'em) but I don't know of a solution. I bought some broadcast pesticide for the lawn yesterday that says it kills Japanese Beetles (that's what I think these are). Maybe it'll help, maybe not. We'll see.
    The green June beetle is in the Scarab family of beetles and is commonly referred to as a "June beetle" or "Junebug."
    The adult is 3/4 inch to 1 inch long, and 1/2 inch wide with a dull green and tan back, with or without lengthwise tan stripes on the wings. The underside is iridescent bright greenish gold.

The Japanese beetle is a different species and not seen west of the Mississippi or in the deep south with a few exceptions. According to what I just read, in another article, the Japanese beetles are starting to appear, though, in several Texas counties.

There are hundreds of species in the Scarab family so we are probably seeing related but different species around the country. At any rate they are a pest in many ways, and I don't know anyone who "enjoys" having them in their pools. I get them in the skimmer even if the light is not on but not in the huge quantities I get if the light is kept on all night.

See this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_beetle

gg=alice