Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light went out!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light went out!

Hey guys,

My pool is only two years old this August and my dang main light went out! Checked all the breakers and the GCFI, all fine (all other equipment and the spa light are fine also).

So I'm calling up Blue Haven tomorrow and hope this is covered in my "warranty" (but with Blue Haven here it can be iffy even if it's supposed to be covered).

I'm pretty sure that this thing shouldn't have gone out for a MUCH longer time but if it indeed has is it generally pretty expensive to fix (assuming it's something as simple as the bulb burning out)?

Also, in case it is just the bulb, any ideas on cooler lights than the default incandescent bulb that comes with?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks guys
    15,000 gallon in ground plaster with hot tub. Chlorine Pool with Ozinator. 2 Skimmers
    SmartFilter 450/550 4 cartridge filter.
    2.5 HP Emmerson Main pump
    Hayward Super Pump II 3/4 HP pump for water feature.
    Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner (LOVE IT!)
    3/4 Hayward Super Pump II 3/4 booster pump for Hayward Phantom cleaner (no longer used)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light went out!

Well, if it isn't covered by BH, it's a fairly straightforward fix. If it is a standard 300 watt bulb, they run anywhere from about $25 to over $50. You can get several different types of bulbs for it though, from LEDs to ones that change colors. Lots of options.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

IIRC, lights carry a one year warranty (and Blue Haven is out of business here ). While they should last longer (of course cycling on and off does wear them out, so if you use it every day you probably got your money's worth!).

Bulbs are easy to replace, and it is probably not a bad idea to learn how to do it yourself. There is plenty of "umbilical cord" on the light to get it up on the deck, so just swim down and remove the screw. The light should tip up and out (there should be a tab on the light ring that fits into the light niche) and the whole assembly should come free. Take it up on the deck, replace the bulb and reinstall. The bigger lights are usually 500 watt around here, but like 257WbyMag said, there are lots of options.

Take the money you saved by doing it and buy yourself something nice

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    Take the money you saved by doing it and buy yourself something nice
    Absolutely!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys for your suggestions, I was definately thinking this job would be tough. (have to drain, not electrocute myself, etc.) But after hearing your advice I'll try this myself.

As always thanks again for your great advice.

Love this forum!
    15,000 gallon in ground plaster with hot tub. Chlorine Pool with Ozinator. 2 Skimmers
    SmartFilter 450/550 4 cartridge filter.
    2.5 HP Emmerson Main pump
    Hayward Super Pump II 3/4 HP pump for water feature.
    Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner (LOVE IT!)
    3/4 Hayward Super Pump II 3/4 booster pump for Hayward Phantom cleaner (no longer used)

6. Back To Top    #6

Another quick question for this thread... Do you need to replace the gasket when you open up the light housing to change the bulb?
    Thanks
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

7. Back To Top    #7

It's a good idea and always recommended, but not absolutely necessary. The thing is, it's really hard to get the lens off without damaging the gasket.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

Cool, thanks. I want to change the bulbs in mine with LED's, but while I'm saving up some cash for that project, I want to put in some 300 watt equivalent CFL's to cut down on the electric bill (we swim at night A LOT). I guess I'll order a few gaskets before I try these new bulbs.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

9. Back To Top    #9

300 watt-equivalent CFLs? Are you sure you have space for that? The 300W replacements I've seen are about the size of a 2-liter coke bottle!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden