New Filter Needed: DE? Sand? Cart?

Oct 4, 2009
I currently have an old DE filter from Hayward, and many of the parts are no longer available, so with this latest breakdown, it's time to get a replacement. Several questions:

1 - I've read about the differences between the 3 types -- tell me what you have and WHY you like it (or what you don't). Which is the cheapest to maintain? Least work? Most work? I know DE does the best filtering job.

2 - From whom do I purchase & get installation? Local pool company or Leslies? Assuming pricing is similar....

3 - Do I need to replace the valve at the same time? I have a multi-port valve currently.

4 - Is there anywhere that reviews the performance/quality of various filters? What manufacturer would you recommend?

Thanks all!

Lynda

I like my DE filter. Even though it is a chore to take it apart and clean it I have been very happy with how clean it keeps the water. I use Fiber Clear instead of DE in the filter. If you need someone to install it for you I would buy it from someone who also has an in house installer. Make sure they warranty the installation as well as the filter. They should be able to reuse the valve if it is in good shape.

After a recent battle with things suspended in the water that my sand filter didnt pick up quickly, my knee jerk reaction was to order a DE filter. The folks on these forums kinda got me down from the edge :)

DE will keep the water the clearest/cleanest/purist, but maintenance can be a pain. Cleaning grids, etc.

Cartridge is second best in clarity/cleanliness. From what I can see maintenance can be pretty easy if you keep a spare set (or two) of carts on hand. The biggest problem I see is that its recommended to let the carts dry out before attempting to clean them. Something submerged in that much water is going to take a while to dry out, so without a spare set on hand your filter is off while you wait for them to dry and clean them. Most pool places around here say if you are on well-water, cartridge is your only option (no backwashing = no refilling with water from a well). They also suggest it for as maintenance free as you can get.....we get ~4 months of pool season around here......if you buy a large cart filter, you might not ever need to clean the carts during the season, only before opening or after closing/

Sand is last of the 3 in clarity/cleanliness (but you need to understand, you will only notice it under a pool light at night when you see really small things floating). But sand is KISS. Backwash when you need to (normal filter pressure + 10 psi). The sand doesnt even really need to be replaced often (Im up to 7 yrs on mine). They just....work. You can increase the effectiveness by adding a little DE thru the skimmer. Doesnt turn it into quite a DE filter, but it does help.

Ive always had sand filters, so I cant say how much better the other two are, but I can say that Im happy with the filter I have now. Its a Hayward BTW.

As far as brands, I tend to lean to Hayward but thats mostly because ever since Ive been around pools Hayward has been "the one", but that goes back so far Im sure plenty of brands are as good if not better at this point.

I like my cart - but it's all I've ever known so I have nothing to compare it to. From viewing threads on DE, I don't think I would ever get a DE.
As far as maintenance, I've heard how sand is so much easier.... IDK
I clean my cart once mid season, by hosing it off, and then at the end of the season I follow the cart cleaning instructions in Pool School. I never used to do that though, only started after learning about it on TFP.
Hosing off the cart takes maybe 20 minutes - mid season - the soaking takes longer but I'm cleaning it off at the end of the season so its no matter.
Not sure if your pool is seasonal or not?
Anyway, just whatever you get remember to oversize the filter as it means less cleaning. Bigger is always better on the size, just don't get talked into getting too big of a pump if you replace the pump too.

Type of filter also depends on how much debris goes into your pool especially the very tiny dust that is blown in and carried in and also what the dust is composed of. If you don't have bunches of dust clogging up your DE filter making for frequent backwashings you might not need the fine filtering of a DE filter.

How clear has your 36 sq ft been keeping your water filtered in your environment? How often do you have to backwash your current filter? If you see fine particles floating in front of your pool light at night are you OK with that? If you are seeing that at night the cartridge will probably let a little more through and the sand filter even a little bit more.

I have a Pentair DE Quad 80 sq ft that replaced a DE 36 sq ft and I started using Fiber Clear last year; Fiber Clear used with both. I have so much fine stuff that to keep the water clear enough to my standards only a DE will do yet using Fiber Clear, which filters finer than DE, "microscopic" stuff still gets through. I wish I could use a sand filter though because of the ease of maintenance.

I'm working on a good friends pool. She doesn't have the same conditions I have (she has very little fine dust that goes into her pool - mostly Juniper needles) so I've recommended a sand filter for her pool if we have to replace her old DE filter.

Definitely upsize your filter if you can afford to. No matter which type of filter it will make for less cleanings and less work for your pump(s) - less resistance).

gg=alice

The DE multi valve will only work on a DE filter (I'm not sure about a Cartridge filter though) and not a sand filter as the in/out ports are plumbed opposite on sand and DE. I suppose you could do some special plumbing to get it to work on a sand filter but the labor cost would probably be more than the cost of a multi valve. There is one exception to this - the Pentair Quad DE is plumbed like a sand filter so you have to use a sand filter valve.

Many of the sand filters come with a multi valve already installed especially the ones that have the valve on the top of the filter.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.