opening green pool with BBB

Thanks Jason!! Just to be sure, I didn't do the overnight FC loss test. I haven't added bleach since 10:00 this morning. At that time the FC was at 16 and I added bleach to get to 20. I just tested at 12:20 and the FC is now 17.5. If we are safe to swim, I was going to let FC come down and let the kids jump in. Sorry to ask so many questions, I just don't want to mess up! Ya'll are wonderful to newbies like me!

melmommy said:
Thanks Jason!! Just to be sure, I didn't do the overnight FC loss test.

Then you are not done. You are still seeing FC drop during the day, could be sun could be organics. Need to get sun out of the picture to be certain. Must do the overnight.

Sorry to butt in but I wasn't sure if Jason Lion would return in time to get you to drag the kids away from the pool.

Hi MM, things seem to be going great! Good for you and your family!

Okay, I cannot speak for Jason, but I think that he did see your numbers from last night. He sometimes makes the determination that the overnight FC loss test is met, even tho some of us cannot make the connection. :?

I understand your dilema, so I will ping Jason for a confirmation.....just try to hang on a little while... longer :-D

anonapersona said:
melmommy said:
Thanks Jason!! Just to be sure, I didn't do the overnight FC loss test.

Then you are not done. You are still seeing FC drop during the day, could be sun could be organics. Need to get sun out of the picture to be certain. Must do the overnight.

Sorry to butt in but I wasn't sure if Jason Lion would return in time to get you to drag the kids away from the pool.
anona, you are not butting in! It's members like you that keep this site going :-D

Thanks for your help :goodjob:

I confess I let the kids swim yesterday. We let the FC fall from shock level. :oops: The water is so clear and sparkly we just could not hold off any longer. Last night at 8:00 our FC was down to 11.5. We added bleach to get back to shock value of 20. When we tested at 9:30 the FC was 22. Decided to go ahead and do the overnight loss test. At 6:15 is morning the FC was at 15.5 so we definately lost overnight. But the water is so clear?? Could something else be going on with the water? How could anything still be alive??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's my personal experience from clearing my sisters pool and having the same problem as you're having. After a few days of completely clear water but couldn't pass the overnight test I instructed them to look for anything that could hold water that wasn't being circulated. Thye finally removed the ladder and found that algae was hiding in the legs. Once they cleaned that out they passed the overnight test the next day. Ladders, light niches, etc. Look for anything that can hold water that doesn't have good circulation. Even places that you may be overlooking.

melmommy said:
I confess I let the kids swim yesterday. We let the FC fall from shock level. :oops: The water is so clear and sparkly we just could not hold off any longer. Last night at 8:00 our FC was down to 11.5. We added bleach to get back to shock value of 20. When we tested at 9:30 the FC was 22. Decided to go ahead and do the overnight loss test. At 6:15 is morning the FC was at 15.5 so we definately lost overnight. But the water is so clear?? Could something else be going on with the water? How could anything still be alive??
As strange as it may seem there is still something going on in the pool, pipes, filter, etc. Otherwise the FC level would be pretty stable, Are you sure about your CYA level?

How's the filter pressure, and when you do backwash is the water pretty brown? If so, that could be the culprit. Two years ago I had to take the top of my sand filter off and, following Waterbear's recommendation, stick a garden hose in the sand and work it around until it started flowing clear water out the top. It was amazing and/or horrifying to see what came out, but it did the job.

The other thing is that your shocking may just not be over. I know that's hard to believe, but it's very possible. Clear water is only one of the ways that you know that you are finished shocking...

You are doing a great job, and learning in the process. What's your CC level?

-Terry in NC (enjoying the REAL saltwater! :cool: )

Hubby just tells me that our ladder can not be taken out. So I guess we will just have to scrub really good while still in pool. I have not checked CYA and CC since yesterday. CYA was between 40 and 50 and there was no CC. I will check these again today.

Here are the latest numbers ~ shock level at 20

Last night at 6:50 we added bleach to get back to 20
9:50 FC 21 no bleach added rest of night

6:00 this am
FC 17.5 added bleach

8:00
FC 19.5 added bleach

10:00 FC 21.5 no bleach added

11:00
FC 17 added bleach
CC 0
TA 120

I am still losing FC overnight. Water is still clear. Why don't I have any CC if there is still algae? What are my next steps? Do I keep shock level during the day? Pool gets full sun all day, so I know I lose FC during the day, just not sure how much. We have brushed every inch of this pool daily and it has not been cloudy in the least for 2 days. Please let me know what else to do. We leave for the beach on Saturday, and this water must be under control before we leave. I appreciate any advice. :) On my way to buy more bleach!

you're going to have to maintain shock level until you find where the problem is and get rid of it. My sisters ladder didn't come out either. They had to unbolt it and remove it. That's when they found the algae lurking in it. I'm not telling you to unbolt your ladder, but inspect it well and if there's any way for water to get inside the legs algae can get in there too.

melmommy, just went through a similar thing w/ my pool. Water was clear and inviting... we had small drops overnight, 6, 4, 3. The day we had a 3 FC drop, I got a scrub brush, and scrubbed the skimmer all out, even the parts that weren't in the water. Scrubbed the ladder, scrubbed/brushed the walls, and vacuumed. Shocked till dark, then had only a .5 drop. (Seemed like it took forever to see it, but it came.)

Since then, the FC has been above target level. (It drops, but not as fast.)

I read on here, that CCs get oxidized by FC, so 0 CC means you have enough FC to break down algae and keep up with CCs, but the FC drop says there's still a little work to go. You're gaining on it!

When they unbolted it, it didn't hurt anything. It bolted right back in place. Like I said, inspect it real well before you unbolt anything. If there's no place for water to get in there's no way for algae to be growing there.

Just a thought. Are you pulling water through your main drain? It could hide in that piping if it's stagnant in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.