Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bulkhead Fittiong Leak in Progrid

1. Back To Top    #1

Bulkhead Fittiong Leak in Progrid

I am scratching my head on this one. I had a small leak from the bulkhead fitting - not the variflo valve, but from the fitting the valve attaches to. I tried to tighten the bulkhead fitting some more, but the leak increased. I took the fitting out and the o-ring looks brand new. Reinstalled and it still leaked, even more. I backed it off and the leak went away, but when I turned my filter off, there was an air leak at the fitting, which sends my DE back into my pool. So if I tighten it, water streams out, if I loosen it, the leak stops, but air streams in when my filter shuts off.

I am thinking that maybe something wedged the outlet elbow, which the fitting screws into, just a little bit - a clump of dirty DE or something? I am not an expert, but the behaviour seems weird and I can't use my timer as when the filter shuts off, all my DE will flow back into the pool. Its going to be cold and rainy tomorrow and I am going away Thursday, for a couple of days, but any help on what may be the problem is appreciated. Thanks.
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bulkhead Fittiong Leak in Progrid

Chris, if you have the time and inclination, I can tell you how to make a temp fix, and perhaps get to the bottom of this without having to open the filter.

The problem may be with the lower bulkhead o-ring

It's getting late tonight, so I'll leave you to your experiments for now - but I'll come back and 'fill in' this response
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I appreciate anything you can provide. You have come through for me before!
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's the quick fix:

Remove the multiportand back off both the top and bottom bulkhead fittings a couple threads.

Take 2 o-rings (~2" should be good - you can use the rings off of threaded 1 1/2" plugs, but a little larger and 'beefier' is better.) and stretch them over the nuts to sit between the bulkhead fitting and the filter.

Gently retighten the bulkhead nuts to create a new sealing point.

Reinstall multi and have no drips or air leaks

You and I both know that the sealing point is supposed to be internal, but this is a temp fix until you have the time to replace the internal o-rings

The same trick can be used for the multiport connections to the bulkhead

**here's the caveat - what you do to one (top or bottom) you MUST do to the other - if you don't, when you connect the multi it will force things into being level and cause the trouble you're currently ecperiencing** (this is why I'm thinking the bottom fitting is the problem, even though it's not leaking)

Good luck with this, let me know how it works out
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)