Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: YAIP - Another Intex Post

1. Back To Top    #1

YAIP - Another Intex Post

I was thinking of adding a SWG to my Inground pool. I was thinking the Intex will be fine as I just want to make sure there is Chlorine in the pool when I travel. Cutting down on my Sam's Club trips would be awesome too.

I was looking at the 8110 model, but have some questions on hooking it up.

How does it hook up to PVC? Is it easy to get the unions etc... Home Depot/Lowes?

When wiring to electrical I have a 110 outlet that is my the pool, or can I hook it to my 220 timer(just on 1 leg) so that it is only on when the timer is on?

Is there anyone that sells the 220 version?

I was concidering the ebay seller that someone in the forum previously posted. [link::http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INTEX-56601-...item33545c5c40]
    -inBamaNow

16x32 Hydra Liner, Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, Hayward CL200, AquaChem Test Kit =[

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: YAIP - Another Intex Post

The 2010 model of the 8110 does remember it's settings after a power loss but I don't know if it will run afterwards. I'll ask my SIL if it does. She has one and loves (of course the copper ionizer is unhooked).

The Ebay unit can't be wired to a timer as it loses it's settings after a power failure. so when the timer turned the power back on it wouldn't remember that it was supposed to run.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

According to the PDF attatched the 8110 is the one in the Ebay auction... Item 56601 is model 8110.

So, what would be the way to hook it up to ensure it won't come on with out the pool being on?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -inBamaNow

16x32 Hydra Liner, Hayward 24" Pro Sand Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, Hayward CL200, AquaChem Test Kit =[

4. Back To Top    #4

the intex swg has a flow switch inside it...it won't run unless there is water flowing through your plumbing. It can be hooked up using regular sch 40 adapter found at HD or lowes. I believe the female threaded part of the swg is 2" if I recall correctly and can be easily reduced to 1.5" if needed...just remember to use pipe dope on the threads
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

I edited my post to indicate that the 2010 model of the 8110 remembers the settings. The Ebay model looks like the 2009 model, because it doesn't show the copper ionizer, which does not remember it's settings. Sorry for the confusion.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    the intex swg has a flow switch inside it...it won't run unless there is water flowing through your plumbing. It can be hooked up using regular sch 40 adapter found at HD or lowes. I believe the female threaded part of the swg is 2" if I recall correctly and can be easily reduced to 1.5" if needed...just remember to use pipe dope on the threads
    thanks dman
    So the unit will be a-ok if the pool timer somehow gets miss set during a trip... We had a 8 hour power outage last summer that would cause all types of havoc.

thanks again Bama... now I understand...

Do you recommend the 2010 model with copper off over the 2009 then or is the flow less on the newer model?
    -inBamaNow

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd recommend the 2009 model. It has greater chlorine output and no copper ionizer.

I'd also put the SWG on a UPS to alleviate the power outage issues.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I'd recommend the 2009 model. It has greater chlorine output and no copper ionizer.

I'd also put the SWG on a UPS to alleviate the power outage issues.
    What type of power connection comes on this thing? Bear wires, standard 3 prong, I have an old UPS sitting in my shed that I may be able to get working again...

____________________________________________________________ _______
    I love increasing my forum post count....
    -inBamaNow

9. Back To Top    #9

standard 3 prong...and it will just throw a low flow error and not run if the pump timing is off. I second the 2009 model...they are on ebay for about $135 shipped "buy-it-now"...the 2010's run around $165. I got our from this seller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And here is a pic of the mods I did plumbing-wise to get it plumbed with 1.5" pvc

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMG_1074.jpg

please note that the pic shows dwv fittings vs. sch 40 pvc which I would suggest you use if you decide to go down this route...good luck
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    standard 3 prong... good luck
    Thanks again... I'm gonna order one and see how it goes... I appreciate all the answers, links, and pictures... thanks

What is the the two T-joints before the SWCG that go to the gray tarp?
    -inBamaNow

11. Back To Top    #11

Intex came in Monday evening... and I got it all installed today...
    The plumbers seal is still curing so I can't test it, but I am confident we will making our own Chlorine by Thursday Evening.
    I also wired in an outdoor 120v circuit to plug in the unit....

Photo included... you can see my pump was painted tan by the motor repair shop when they replaced the bearings...
    -inBamaNow

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks Great!
    What kind of unions are those on the ends? Did you not use the inlet filter screen (I was surprised at what all it catches!)? I hope that you put in a GFCI outlet under that "in use" outlet cover.
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

13. Back To Top    #13

Mine is coming in today. I've been trying to figure out what unions we'll be needing as well.
    Above Ground Pool - 13,500 Gallons - Sand Filter - 2.5 HP 2 Speed Pump
    Intex 8110 SWG - Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit

(Previous Owners used Baquacil...We used it for 2 summers and are TROUBLE FREE since 5/27/10!!!)

14. Back To Top    #14

(2) 2" female thread coupling...from there you can reduce to a 1.5" pipe or keep it at 2"...here is a pic of mine to give you an idea...but pls note to use sch40 fittings...I used dwv fitting by mistake...seems to be holding up OK but sch40 is rated for pressure

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=IMG_1074.jpg

15. Back To Top    #15

I ran it for 4 hours today and made some good chlorine... 2.5-3 ppm in that time..
    -inBamaNow

16. Back To Top    #16

I tried to fix the leak issue I had by removing the flowmeter T, and using some #5 Pipe Sealant... it still leaked... so I followed dmanb2b's suggestion of Oatey's Great White Pipe Compound... With the Great White the T was able to tighten up far more than it had with Teflan tape or the Yellow #5 stuff... After the install i let the Great White dry for a couple hours and wiped the excess the best I could... I then applpied a bead of Blue RTV automotive sealant around the joints. NO MORE LEAKS.
    -inBamaNow