Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: UV resistant pool cover

1. Back To Top    #1

UV resistant pool cover

Hello Everyone
    I live in NE Thailand where it is extrememly hot just now, temperatures around 35 to 40 celsius. AS you can imagine the water in my pool is warm and not too refreshing. I have noted many comments from members about pool heaters, I need the opposite!
    Does anyone have any information on suppliers of a UV resistant material, maybe bubble wrap that can be purchased in Thailand or shipped from another country.
    I would appreciate any help as it seems having a pool in a hot country is not such a good idea when the water is too warm to enjoy a swim.
    Regards to all
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike Court
    In ground Pool size 12m x 5m x 1.3m av
    Concrete construction with tiled base and sides
    750 Sand Filter
    1.5k Pump
    I don't have a skimmer, around the perimeter of the pool is a plastic grate above a concrete channel that directs overflow into holding tank.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: UV resistant pool cover

Mike, Around here a lot of people use solar heating panels ran at night as coolers. You see, they're very good heat exchangers and when the nighttime temps are less than the pool water temps running them at night removes heat instead of adding heat. Just throwing that out for you to think about.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello BR
    Thanks for your comments I will look into solar panels, I am not sure our night temps are cooler than the pool water though, another thing to check.
    The main problem trhat I can see is finding a supplier in Thailand, up to now I have had no success in finding anyone selling any sort of cover.
    Thanks again
    Mike
    Regards
    Mike Court
    In ground Pool size 12m x 5m x 1.3m av
    Concrete construction with tiled base and sides
    750 Sand Filter
    1.5k Pump
    I don't have a skimmer, around the perimeter of the pool is a plastic grate above a concrete channel that directs overflow into holding tank.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd gladly ship your some of my pool water.. it's currently at 50F / 10C..
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

5. Back To Top    #5

Another thought is to bury a piping loop like they do for geothermal heat pumps and run your pool water through it to cool it down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You can buy silver finished bubble wrap fairly cheaply. Buy a few rolls and either have it sewn together with a reinforced plastic strip and hem the edges similarly. There is probably a way of welding it too.

I had a pool cover when I was in the UK and that was all that was, except it was blue, transparent and designed to absorb heat, rather than reflect.

Perhaps there is a market for these as evaporation loss must be huge problem here in Thailand, especially with the cost of chemicals.

When you have solved the problem please let us all know as I will need one when I get the pool built.

Allan
    16,500 gallon, 16x32 freeform gunite pool with Marbletite Marquis (quartz) plaster, SWG (Intellichlor IC40), Pentair IntelliFlo VS + SVRS pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus cartridge filter