used sodium bromide in salt water generator pool HELP

Your CYA level is fairly low, so I would expect a large drop in FC during the day. The best indication of how the pool is doing is what FC does overnight. You will be able to get a much better picture of what is going on if you get your own top quality test kit. The best thing you can do for your pool is to know what your levels are. The TF-100 from TFTestKits.net is my favorite, though the Taylor K-2006 is also good.

going to let salt cell run during the day instead of starting it when i get home from work and letting it run at night. Turned it on last night for 12 hour cycle til about 9 am this morning FC reading at 3-4 at 11:30 test, it was right or below 1 last night when I turned salt cell on. Started an 8 hour cycle 12 pm it should run just during the day now. I will see if test results stay consistent. Have a little "dirt" or algae that is not as dark as what I vacuumed up, but NOT NEAR as much as before I Vacuumed for the first time. Gonna brush and just let salt cell run and see what happens. What do you guys think? Again, thanks for the help.

I think you need to raise the FC up to 10 with liquid chlorine this evening around 7ish. Turn off the swg, leave the pump running. Then at 9pm take a FC test, write down the result. Leave the pump running, and tomorrow morning about 6ish take another FC test and compare the two results. If the FC loss is greater than 1 you have organics and you need to shock with liquid chlorine.

I think i have the algae under control, it helps to have kids swimming and get the pool stirred up. No more algae, FOR NOW. Running my salt cell for 6-8 hours, my FC is about 1-2 on test strips, it usually is higher when cell runs for that amount of time about FC 4-5 (before I added the sodium bromide). But my liquid test is showing 4-5, it is an OTO reagent so it tests bromine also. I think the chlorine is still converting to bromine, that is the reason the liquid test is showing the 4-5 reading, its the bromine reading. I added 18 ounces of the sodium bromide ("The Yellow Stuff") in 25,000 gallon pool when I started this a couple of weeks ago. Is this what is happening? How long should it take to burn thru the sodium bromide. My wife will not let me put clorox in pool, pool store does not sell liquid chlorine. Any alternatives on large dose of chlorine shock to burn thru sodium bromide?

The test kits cannot distinguish between chlorine and bromine -- they just show the bromine level as being twice as high as chlorine due to unit differences (it's actually 2.25 times higher). So you cannot tell whether you have chlorine vs. bromine from any test kit you can get. It seems that you still have bromine given the higher demand for sanitizer you seem to now have, but that could be something else consuming the chlorine -- you just can't tell.

Adding bleach to the pool would be the same chlorine as produced from your SWG cell except for adding some extra salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.