Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baquacil conversion with monopersulfate

1. Back To Top    #1

Baquacil conversion with monopersulfate

First off, I'm new to pools and can use all the "non-biased" help I can get.
    I have been on BaquaGoo for three years and after last year am completely fed up! I have a 22500 gal Vinyl pool and am converting to a Hayward Swimpure SWG. Along with this system I was sold on using a 40lb bucket of MPS (monopersulfate) to get rid of the Baguinides.
    Yesterday I opened the pool and have been circulating through a sand filter for 24 hrs and will be taking in a water sample for testing since I do not have my test kit yet. The salesman that sold me the MPS said to just throw in 20 lbs wait a day and throw in the other 20lbs and that should take care of the Baquacil. I'm not so sure after reading within TFP that this is correct. My receipt says that all chemical sales are final, so I may be stuck with the MPS.

My questions are;
    Using the pool calculator, what is the equivalent to MPS?
    Does MSP leave residual chemicals that could be harmful to my SWG cell?
    If I can exchange the MPS, what would be another chemical that I would use in the future with a SWG?

Thanks for all of your help!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Baquacil conversion with monopersulfate

Welcome to the forum!

Using liquid chlorine will be far less expensive than MPS. If it's returnable or exchangeable, I would do so and get liquid chlorine (or bleach) instead. If it's not returnable, You will be able to use it initially and then switch to bleach/liquid chlorine with no problem so you are not stuck with it.

The conversion is a process that may take more effort than the salesman is telling you (sounds like he has never done one). You will be able to search here for baquacil conversions and will find success stories that will give you an idea of the4 process involved.

Especially in a baqua conversion, you need the capability to test for very high levels of chlorine so a very good test kit (you can review them in Pool School) is almost essential BEFORE you start.

Pleanty of folks here on the forum who have either done the consversion (and they have never looked back) or who are well-versed in the procedure.

Keep asking question!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If you do end up using the MPS, I would add 10 lbs every 12 hours till you run out, wait another 12 hours and then continue the conversion with bleach following the directions at Pool School.

MPS is not normally at all harmful. If you use high dosages very frequently for an extended period you could eventually build up the sulfate level, but that shouldn't be an issue here.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

It might be interesting to see if the sulfur makes the pretty colors more yellow!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you very much gentlemen!
    And yes Richard I WILL take pictures!