Polaris 9300 disapointing first run

Hi,

Well it's been 2 summers and today, the robot stopped working. When I press the button to make it start, the two lights start flashing like if the cleaner was full, but the filter is clean. I've tried unplugging the power cord but that didn't do anything.

I have to admit that I've been negligent with the machine, leaving it more often in the water than not. Also, some critters chewed on the power cord, but that was a while ago and it still worked long after.

Does anyone have ideas about what I should try to repair it, before bringing it to a repair center?

Thanks

PS: as mentionned above, it is good at keeping the pool clean and combined with the new SWG I installed this year, pool maintenance has been very easy this year.

John Rock said:
Hi,

Well it's been 2 summers and today, the robot stopped working. When I press the button to make it start, the two lights start flashing like if the cleaner was full, but the filter is clean. I've tried unplugging the power cord but that didn't do anything.

I have to admit that I've been negligent with the machine, leaving it more often in the water than not. Also, some critters chewed on the power cord, but that was a while ago and it still worked long after.

Does anyone have ideas about what I should try to repair it, before bringing it to a repair center?

Thanks

PS: as mentionned above, it is good at keeping the pool clean and combined with the new SWG I installed this year, pool maintenance has been very easy this year.
I had the same problem with my Polaris 9300 several months back. After speaking with their customer service, Zodiac sent me a new power cord that runs into the robot. I made the mistake and repaired it myself, and it works great. But I highly recommend you send the robot off so Zodiac can repair it. It is not easy taking the robot apart and repairing it. If you repair it yourself, have a camcorder handy so you can put it back together in the same order as you unassembled it. Trust me, you will thank me later.

I switched from a 280 to a 360 when I installed my two speed; the 360 works fine. No issues. The main thing to be aware of is adjusting your flow so that the wheels spin 30 times a minute- that ensures proper operation of the cleaner. (That, and the usual Polaris adjustments to the rear jet position.) Regarding robots- Complex systems and machines tend to break down more frequently, and water and electricity don't mix well. (The Amazon reviews for the 9300 are an interesting read.)

Tom

I purchased the polaris 9300 last week on thursday. Placed it in the pool and on setting 1 the thing wouldn't even climb the wall. Tried setting 2 and it finally went up the wall. However it didn't turned left or right after it went up the wall. It just floated off the wall and back down. Then back again in a different direction. I was told this is suppose to ride along the wall. I contacted the pool store and was told 2 things
1) needs to be charged before placing in the water. ( the darn thing has to be plugged in the outlet to turn on, are they serious)
2) the cleaner normally takes time to remember your pool (huhhhhhh).
I then contacted the manufacture and they said they never heard any of those solutions and yes the cleaner should be riding on the wall. I notice today that the cleaner was riding the wall for about 2 ft. before it floats of the wall and back down to the floor. I like this cleaner because when I check the bag its full of debris and sand. ANYONE EXPERIENCE THE SAME PROBLEM?

Mine sometimes turns and follows the water line for a couple,three feet, but more often than not, it exhibits the same behavior that you described. I am 'mostly' pleased with the robot's performance thus far (second season). I have a fiberglass pool with built in seats and ledges and the robot rarely makes it successfully up to those spots, so I manually sweep them. Also there are a couple of spots on the bottom that it just seems to never get to....but since it's coverage is completely random, I suppose if I kept it in there long enough, all surfaces and spots would be cleaned...what is that saying about sitting a monkey in front of a typewriter?
Still, it sure beats sucking up all of the dirt into my cartridge filter...

I've had a 9300 for the past 2 pool seasons and running it on both cycles once completely cleans the pool each and every time. I like my 9300 and would buy another. The only problem it has is what you would expect. We have a sunning shelf both on the deep end and on the shallow end. I use a manual vacuum or simply brush that dirt into the main part of the pool. It will clean those areas but doesn't last long on the shelves. On cycle 1, it cleans to the top of the water. On cycle 2, it climbs to the top of the walls. Mine has always climbed walls well throughout the past 2 seasons.

Last May 27 (2014) when we opened the pool over Mem Day weekend I posted the issue on Fixya about the brand new P93 turning itself off after just a few minutes and going into 'flashing' mode' . A week later when we were at our wits end and I had done all the 'tricks' like running w/o the canister, blah blah blah it worked just fine. This year same thing but finally found the answer. My pool store pro went to a seminar last year and like some other robotics......THEY DO NOT LIKE COLD WATER. I chuckled but its the truth. Goodness they are almost human!! The motor is sensitive to cold and when the water temp is below about 66 degrees it senses the cold and shuts down and goes into 'flashing' mode. This year it was May 24 over Memorial Day weekend when we opened and was a cool weekend which was great for us opening the pool but not so much for the Polaris. After speaking with her I waited two days and the weather got much warmer and the water warmed up a few degrees and VOILA...all is well.

Last year we thought it had something to do with the silt on the bottom being too much for it and since we could not see the bottom <lol> when we opened pool. We vacuumed but still had same shut off issue. This year we vacuumed first so we knew it was not the amount of silt. When it stopped the first time this year I thought it might be full but it had very little in it. I wish the manual would state about the cold water issue. Sure would save a lot of angst for owners.

I picked up my new Polaris 9300 yesterday and tried it today in my greenish pool. The robot stopped twice a dozen minutes in the 1h30 cycle. Both times I cleaned the bag, but it was hardly dirty... just a film of gunk. Will try again tomorrow but this time will time it to see if it stops exactly after the same amount of time.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

--

Just happen to run across this post. Got our 9300 3 yrs ago here in Virginia and experienced same thing. Almost lost my mind over it stopping not long after starting. WELL.....turns out that the little guy does not like cold water...TRUE! This is not uncommon for robotic cleaners and has something to do with protecting its motor....go figure! I wish they would put this in the user guide. I found out by calling Polaris and talking to the Leslie's manager where i bought it. 60 degrees is the rule but if you start the cleaner in the deep end like I do...its colder down there so temp needs to be in mid 60s first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.