Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: plaster today, chance of rain?

1. Back To Top    #1

plaster today, chance of rain?

Well it has been raining lightly here, the gunite is damp, and there is a 30% of rain and mixed sunshine.

Is this ok to plaster in? Will the plaster guys make the right choice since there is a 15 year warranty at stake ?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: plaster today, chance of rain?

They should probably wait, however, once the plaster is down even, in the first minute, its good to go.
    We start filling the pool the moment the well is troweled. we cover the hose with cloths and run at 3/4 pressure.
    But, if all the gunite is saturated with water, waiting is best.
    36K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152

3. Back To Top    #3

Rain was threatening when mine was done. They laid out a clear plastic tarp and when the rain came, they had a tent up over the whole 18' x 36' in five minutes. They went back to work and finished the job. That was 2004 and all is good so far.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

Light rain is ok, heavy rain is bad, it will affect the consistency of the plaster when they finish-trowel it. Even doofus crews wont try to plaster in pouring rain, as it just doesnt work.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here