Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: screw in pool - help

1. Back To Top    #1

screw in pool - help

Hello, I was installing my stairs last weekend when one of my very helpful 2 year olds decided she could not see well enough and bumped into me to see what I was doing. Well I was screwing in the last small screw for the stairs. Needless to say the screw fell in the pool and I am not sure where it is. My question is can I throw in the automatic pool cleaner and not worry? Is there a chance that the cleaner would press down on the screw and tear the liner?

Thanks
    Jourdan
    17600 galon 27' round Mirage above ground. Eco-Kleer cartridge filter. Direct sunlight most of the day.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: screw in pool - help

Is it a wood screw (sharp point) or is it a sheet-metal type screw with a blunt end? If it is a sharp one, I would be inclined to probably put a mask on and go get it.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Pointy metal objects and liner pools generally do not go well together. A magnet might help.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

4. Back To Top    #4

pointy end! That's what I was afraid of. Good thing the water has warmed up to 61 degrees, in I go tonight than.
    17600 galon 27' round Mirage above ground. Eco-Kleer cartridge filter. Direct sunlight most of the day.

5. Back To Top    #5

You might try to see if you can locate it once it gets dark. With the pump off and the water still, turn your pool light on and look. You can usually see things on the pool floor pretty well in that situation. If you find it, try the magnet thing like OhmBoy suggested. That way, you don't have to get cold and wet.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

6. Back To Top    #6

If the screw is stainless, the magnet won't work
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

woohoo I got it out... But I had to go in the pool to get it and man was it cold. I found it under the stairs. Thanks for the help everyone.

8. Back To Top    #8

I was going to suggest a preteen neighbor child or relative..my 9 year old was only too thrilled to go fishing for a nail I flicked into the pool...3 times in 60 degree water was plenty for me..
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit