Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting ready for installation, could use some feedback

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting ready for installation, could use some feedback

Hello All,

I am convinced that summer will come to Michigan sometime in 2010, so I am gearing up to install the 24' round AGP that has been taking up room in our garage for a month or so.

First things first, here is what I plan to do for site prep. We have very heavy clay soil and are of course in a heavy winter kind of area. I plan to excavate the turf away with a box blade and tractor, then level the area. I have about 10" difference from the high to low side, so this will take some time. Then, I plan putting down a ring of crusher run (#411 limestone is what call it here I think) that will go 2-3 ft inside and outside of the bottom rails. I am thinking maybe 5" deep? Then I will dig holes in this base to set the patio blocks flush for the connector plates to sit on. The idea is to have something firm for the frame to set on and then be able to have the finished pool a little deeper in the middle and a ledge that is 4' deep around the outside. How does this sound? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'll put up pics once I get started. Thanks!!
    24 ft, 52" Patriot Vista AGP, steel wall, dished bottom, 14,300 gallons
    Hayward 1 hp pump, S180T sand filter, 2 - 2 X 20 solar heating panels, solar cover and reel, 8 gal Liquidator, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting ready for installation, could use some feedback

Sounds like a good plan. When you set that crusher run dampen it a bit and use a vibrating plate to compact it as much as you can. It'll be a bit of a problem but make sure you get the breaking slopes too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for those tips! Do you think the 5" is enough depth for the crusher run? I hope I am not getting in too deep, so to speak, doing this myself. I have read a lot so far and the more help from this site the better. Thanks again!
    Hayward 1 hp pump, S180T sand filter, 2 - 2 X 20 solar heating panels, solar cover and reel, 8 gal Liquidator, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

should be plenty...there isn't that much downward pressure on the sidewalls and some folks do not even use patio blocks (we did to be safe). Most of the downward pressure is beneath the liner. The wall itself is holding the water from pushing out. I think you have a solid plan there, just make sure to use fine sand under the liner or some sort of pool bottom material.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I have not installed an AGP pool but have worked with different rock so take this with a grain of salt.

Crusher run is not very workable. My experience is it compacts when you dont want it to and, to an extent, gets areas where the larger rocks don't work themselves into the dust as level and uniform as you would like under a pool liner.

Digging into it after compaction would seem to be a pain.

What about pea gravel or a slightly larger, uniform rock? It is very workable and easy to get perfectly level. It literally cannot be compacted and will settle very little.

Crusher run can also be somewhat waterproof after settling in whereas pea gravel would provide a much more uniform drainage.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with Dave. If your crusher run is the same type as up here (every part of the country calls the same type of material something different!) you might not like the results. Pea stone is a better choice, I would think. It will level a lot better.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

yup, I was planning on a sand bottom over the ring of crusher and of course in the middle of the pool where it will just be excavated ground. I wouldn't go to this much trouble except for I have seen how much our ground can heave in the winter. It's like a big sponge when it sees water.
    I may have to look at something for lining under the sand if I find lots of small rocks when I level. I wouldn't want any of them to work up through the sand and puncture the liner. Any ideas out there for something to use that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg? I will still use sand over it. maybe commercial greenhouse ground fabric or something? Wow, so much to think about!

8. Back To Top    #8

You should put some plastic sheeting under the sand so it does not wash out, If your property is like mine and has a slope rain water could run under the pool and wash out the sand base.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer