Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I lucky or good?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I lucky or good?

Pool was opened earlier this week (guys dropped a few bottles of shock in it when they opened it, but that's it). What a mess - leaves everywhere, heavy algae growth on walls and bottom - water wasn't terrible, but not good - murky - could barely make out the bottom returns in the 6' section..

Anyway - pulled the chlorinator (Hayward cl200) off line - plugged the holes because it was leaking everywhere - and the pump ran much better than it has run the last few years that chlorinator was a POS, imo. Dropped a floating chlorinator in for the time being, dumped in a jug of bleach, and fired up the pump. Grabbed a net and cleaned up most of the leaves and junk.

Long story short - an hour or two later I tested the water. PH was perfect, Chorine was perfect. Water was already clearing up significantly. Bottom is still a bit of a mess, but after a brushing I have it mostly concentrated to the deep end.

A quick vaccuum tomorrow and I think I'll be a day away from sparking, balanced water.

In the three years that I've had this pool, I have not had to do too much to have very clear water. Is it supposed to be this easy? I read the posts around here and get all worked up and anxious, but when i get out by the water it just never seems that complicated..

Not bragging - i'm going to assume that I'm just really lucky. But is this common to have it go this well this easily?
    32k Gallon Vinyl IG, Hayward 75 DE, 1 HP, Chlorine. 4 top skimmers, 1 bottom skimmer. 2 top returns, 1 bottom return.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I lucky or good?

If you follow BBB, it's that easy
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you're tempting fate. It ain't over yet.

:P
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

How do you intend to chlorinate from this point forward? Have you run any tests for CYA?

If your water was really murky, your FC should be back to zero and you'll need more.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    How do you intend to chlorinate from this point forward? Have you run any tests for CYA?

If your water was really murky, your FC should be back to zero and you'll need more.
    Well, I don't think I'll be using that chlorinator (the in-line) anymore. Looking at just using BBB and leaving the floater in there from time-to-time.
    32k Gallon Vinyl IG, Hayward 75 DE, 1 HP, Chlorine. 4 top skimmers, 1 bottom skimmer. 2 top returns, 1 bottom return.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanix
    Well, I don't think I'll be using that chlorinator (the in-line) anymore. Looking at just using BBB and leaving the floater in there from time-to-time.
    Just remember that floaters leave CYA in the water (Dichlor or Trichlor) and depending on the exact floater, could also decrease your PH (Trichlor).

I've had one opening that was similar to yours, but I didn't keep up with things well enough and had a green tinge to the water in about 2 weeks. That took 2-3 days to clear but now I don't even wince: It's BBB *and* testing to know what the chemical levels in the water are.

Now, I'm just having fun with all of the yellow pollen!

What are your numbers?

Terry in NC
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

7. Back To Top    #7

Turns out maybe I'm neither..

I've gotten the pool sparkling from a clarity perspective, but what I thought was dirt collecting on the creases is I think algae growing every night. But up until now I've only tested PH and Chlorine, both were seemingly fine. Yesterday, however, I tested the CYA level and found it down around 30.

This morning I put a sock full of CYA on a return (conservatively added enough to get me to 40-45 for now), added a bit of PH up and put another container of bleach in. Probably should have done it a little more scientifically, but I know I won't have a ton of time to devote to the pool through Friday.

I'm going to run home at lunch to do a fully battery of tests again and I'll post some numbers when I get back. Generally speaking things look very fixable, but I was a little premature in declaring a well balanced pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

How did you detemine it wasn't just dirt? Did you do an overnight chlorine drop test? Cause that's the sure-fire way to tell (well almost).

Actually if your were chlorinating based on a CYA you thought was higher than 30 and it turned out to be 30 then you had more FC to kill off anything than you thought you did. That's a good thing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

It accumulated overnight way too fast to be dirt settling. And, well, it looked like algae, I think.

I just went home for lunch and ran the alkalinity test. Way low - 50-60ppm range.

So here is where I am right now.

Water condition. Clarity = sparkling. Algae = growing (slowly overnight) it seems.

CYA was at 30 ppm yesterday.
    Chlorine was high (can't remember exact number)
    PH was low (can't remember exact number)
    Alkalinity 50-60 ppm.

I don't recall exact numbers, but here is what I've done so far. (that said, going forward I'm going to chart everything and do it correctly).

1. Added stabilizer - about enough to bring me to 40-45 ppm range. hung a sock of it by a return.
    2. Added bleach - maybe 120-ish oz.
    3. Added PH Up (I haven't gone fully BBB as I have some of this stuff laying around still) - added enough to bring PH up a few points to just below recommended level according to the chart.
    4. Added Alkalinity Increaser - 3-4 pounds.

I figured I'd let all of this settle in for a day then re-test tomorrow and see where I am. Maybe wait a few days for the CYA test.

Filter is running well, pressure low and stable. Water is clear. I also have some tablets in a chlorinator floating around.

Tests later tonight to see where we've settled, tests tomorrow or Friday and then top everything off seems like the right plan.

10. Back To Top    #10

It accumulated overnight way too fast to be dirt settling. And, well, it looked like algae, I think.
    If it was light gray and "fluffled" or clouded the water when disturbed it is/was probably deal algae.

...don't recall exact numbers, but here is what I've done so far. (that said, going forward I'm going to chart everything and do it correctly).
    No reason to test CYA for 5-7 days as it'll take that long to completely disolve.

Charting things will make a difference. It sounds dumb, but "you and your water become one". You might want to record pressures, water & air temperatures, etc. That information may help you in the future.

Filter is running well, pressure low and stable. Water is clear. I also have some tablets in a chlorinator floating around.
    This time of year I've had a floater in the pool as well when out of town. As it turns out my youngest son has been watching me and taking mental notes about pool maintenance. I've been fortunate in that I've able to take care of the pool by "remote-son" control!
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

11. Back To Top    #11

Oh you don't have to sell me on the importance of charting. I'm your typical anal-retentive charting type.