Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Quotes....Need Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Quotes....Need Advice

Below is a quote from a highly recommended builder in my area. I had started out wanting to buy a kit online and sub out different parts of the build while doing some myself. However, we are now just getting quotes on having everything done as a package.

I have been reading here for a week or so and am learning a lot so I figured it would only make sense to get feedback on the following quote (in ground/vinyl liner):

QUOTE 1
    -16x24x42 True L (8 ft deep end)
    -8' steps (w/2 returns)
    -Ladder
    -Handrail
    -1.5hp Pump
    -Sand Filter
    -4 returns
    -2 skimmers
    -2 drains
    -rope/floats
    -Auto Clorinator
    -5' Cement Deck around Pool
    -Manual cleaning equip.
    -Drain with filter bed under deep end
    -PoolCrete Bottom
    -Complete Install
    -Steel Walls
    -$23,700

Extras:
    -Concrete $3.50/sq ft
    -Dolphin Pro $1000
    -Slide $1700
    -Heater $2100
    -Saltwater (IntelliChlor) $1400
    -Timer $100
    -LED IntelliBrite (one for deep and one for shallow) $1500

The filter and pump are Hayward. I asked about upgrading to a 2 speed pump but was advised that it would not be worth the extra money. Seems to be the complete opposite from what I have read on here.

I'm sure I've missed something so please any advice/feedback (good or bad) is welcomed. This is our 2nd quote so far.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Quotes....Need Advice

The price doesnt look too bad for the basic pool. Others I'm sure will have specific comments on equipment, etc. Other hings to ask:

What size is the plumbing
    How big is the sand filter
    what kind of heater
    IC20 or IC 40 on the saltwater sytem

In the add ons, the Intellichlor is listed at $1400. At $1400, it should come with at least an Easytouch 4 control box that acts as a timer and other automation features.

On the 2 speed pump, depends on what your electric rates are. A lot of people like and recommend them. My electric rates are dirt cheap, so I really couldnt justify the extra cost.

Another important thing is what is the payment schedule?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with bk406 on the easytouch - the deal is you have to have timers anyway and Pentair practically gives the easytouch away if you buy the Intellichlor, so with credit for timers not used and Pentair bundle pricing, it just makes sense (to me anyway).

If there were already two lights built into the quote, then 1500 to upgrade seems high (i paid 1000 for two upgraded units).

I would check with your home owners insurance agent before putting in a slide. I work with a guy who said his company told him he had 30 days to remove it or they would cancel his home owners policy - pretty extreme, but...

If the autochlorinator is kept and you go for the Intellichlor, I have been told (but can't yet personally verify - will in a few weeks) that the Rainbow 320 inline unit fits into the same space as the Intellichlor IC-40. That would mean the chlorinator can be in place adding chlorine & building up CYA until the salt gets added some weeks after the build ends. Then the Intellichlor goes in the same place. Put the chlorinator in storage and if the Intellichlor ever goes out then you have a back up (in addition to the more basic & cheaper) BBB method advocated for at this site.

Your concrete seems pretty cheap, can't recall anyone ever complaining about too big a patio area. Maybe should ask for pricing to do pavers, or to acrylic coat the concrete, or even stamped concrete (assuming those hold interest for you).

I was investigating two-speed or variable speed when I was seeking quotes for the pool currently being built in my backyard. I had two companies not willing to price in a 2-speed or variable. When I started investigating I found out the law/code in my area changed on 1 Jan 2010 and mandated a two-or variable speed - they were trying to dump inventory. Might not be true in your area, but worth a bit of investigation.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by lbridges
    I agree with bk406 on the easytouch - the deal is you have to have timers anyway and Pentair practically gives the easytouch away if you buy the Intellichlor, so with credit for timers not used and Pentair bundle pricing, it just makes sense (to me anyway).

If there were already two lights built into the quote, then 1500 to upgrade seems high (i paid 1000 for two upgraded units).

I would check with your home owners insurance agent before putting in a slide. I work with a guy who said his company told him he had 30 days to remove it or they would cancel his home owners policy - pretty extreme, but...

If the autochlorinator is kept and you go for the Intellichlor, I have been told (but can't yet personally verify - will in a few weeks) that the Rainbow 320 inline unit fits into the same space as the Intellichlor IC-40. That would mean the chlorinator can be in place adding chlorine & building up CYA until the salt gets added some weeks after the build ends. Then the Intellichlor goes in the same place. Put the chlorinator in storage and if the Intellichlor ever goes out then you have a back up (in addition to the more basic & cheaper) BBB method advocated for at this site.

Your concrete seems pretty cheap, can't recall anyone ever complaining about too big a patio area. Maybe should ask for pricing to do pavers, or to acrylic coat the concrete, or even stamped concrete (assuming those hold interest for you).

I was investigating two-speed or variable speed when I was seeking quotes for the pool currently being built in my backyard. I had two companies not willing to price in a 2-speed or variable. When I started investigating I found out the law/code in my area changed on 1 Jan 2010 and mandated a two-or variable speed - they were trying to dump inventory. Might not be true in your area, but worth a bit of investigation.

lbridges, this is very interesting. I wonder if the law has changed for Jacksonville....
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    lbridges, this is very interesting. I wonder if the law has changed for Jacksonville....
    I haven't followed up to see if it went state-wide but there was a bill being sent to the Gov for restricting sales after 1 Jul 2011 - basically the homeowner needs to do nothing, but won't be able to purchase anything for a replacement other than a 2-speed or variable.

Linky: http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...25/359837.html
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

6. Back To Top    #6

i think you got a great price
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]