Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: opinions please

1. Back To Top    #1

opinions please

So the concrete should be poured this week. My original design was to follow the angles of my pool with the concrete.
    However, after speaking to a landscaper he suggested not to do this. He said you should round off the angles to make the landscaping look better and not have everything so square in the back yard.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    Dank
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: opinions please

Is the box with the 22 and 17 a deck? What is to the right of the 32 is that yard? I had assumed from the first drawing it was the house....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, Sorry. The 17 x 22 is a deck that will be built soon. Also, the 11 x 32 would be the patio around the pool. (full sun all day on that side)

The XXX are leyands to block the neighbors.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I do like the top drawing better... I suppose it increases the cost of the concrete install...LOL
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Which you and your spouse like better is the only thing that matters. If you are in an area that winterizes your pool and plan on a safety cover, having at least 3 (min.) to 3.5 feet or more decking on the narrow sides of deck will ensure a full strength installation of the cover with no D rings, landscape stakes, or short springs needed.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Will you be fencing it? The curved deck may cause issues if you are. I went with straight edges on the concrete and fence, but let the landscaping meander.

If you have a diving board, make the concrete extend a little further on that end so you can walk behind the board easily.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks.

Yes there is already a fence (6 ft). The back yard is pretty big so the pool is basically in the middle of the back yard.

As of now I have measured 780 sq ft concrete. That is basically 4 feet around on 3 sides. (deck side, Left side, back side) the right side is basically 11 by 36 now. With the concrete being curved it might cost just a tad more but not much.

Also, we are doing 7 feet so no diving board. I don't have kids (yet) so the right side of the pool is where we will gather 99% of the time.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have to say; I like curvy things!

But Scott is correct, it doesn't matter what we like, it's yourself and the SO you have to please! Make those two happy and you can't go wrong.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I like the free form sort of curvy look to the first one. I think from a landscape perspective it will look unique and not boxy...
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Once again thanks.

Poolgirl, That is pretty much what the landscaper said. Too many straight angles.

11. Back To Top    #11

This is the exact same pool shape that I had built at my last house (except my steps were inside the dimensions of the pool), and I had the lines of the concrete following the pool just like your plans. The only difference is that I had my shallow end enlarged, but with the same straight edges. I then placed large planters on the corners furthest from the house and this softened it a bit. I built a corner flower bed off of one of the corners which backed up to the corner of my fence, basically everything I did with the landscape around that pool had a straight edge to it. I loved it... I think it all depends on your taste for your own backyard, because I think either one would look great.
    28x14 inground fiberglass, Hayward sand filter, Hayward super pump 1.5 hp, AquaLogic P-4, SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

I am in a similar boat to you. We have a pool with straight edges and are deciding if we should have curves for the decking. Not sure if it pertains to you, but if you have grass around the deck, the interior curves can be hard to mow. We have that now and it adds quite a bit of time and effort. If you have any sort of shrubbery around the edges though you won't be able to tell much anyway. But either way it will look great.

13. Back To Top    #13

I think it depends if your mind thinks like an engineer or an artist. We had similar decisions to make last year when we built our IG pool. I tend to think practical and in straight lines (engineer). My wife has an eye for artistic design. I love the way the curvy decking turned out. So what if the sprinklers hit the decking in some places due to curves…
    20,0000 gal gunite IG pool, built May 2016. Jandy VS ePump, Jandy 60sfDE filter, AquaLink controller, PureLink salt water chlorinator, with Pentair Rainbow in-line chlorine feeder. Use a Taylor Total Poolcare DPD test kit. Heated by the Texas sun.

14. Back To Top    #14

Once again thanks to everyone that replied. Right now I still do not know what I will do. I think GregH said it all. My original "design" is straight but my wife likes the curves

Maybe i'll ask the PB and the Concrete guy.

They are going to do a pressure test today. So we are getting close.