A few quesitons, CYA, chorine and sand from filter in pool

Hi all,

Just opened pool and had to add CYA since I drained and refilled just before closing to find and patch a hole. I have the solid CYA in a sock bobbing in front of the return, enough to get the CYA level up to around 30 or so.

A few questions

How long should it take to dissolve?

Also, can I add bleach while it is dissolving?

Lastly I am getting sand from the filter on the bottom of the pool. I have vacuumed a few times and it keeps returning to the bottom of the pool. What can I do to fix or prevent this from happening?

Yes, you can add bleach. I expect it will dissolve within 24-36 hours depending on the flow. YOu can squeeze/manipulate the sock with your fingers to speed up the dissolving....

Sounds like something inside the filter maybe loose or cracked allowing the sand to get thru. You'll have to open it up and check to see if the parts are all intact and working properly. Are you sure it's sand?

Just to add the water is clear I don't see any algae other than some sand on the bottom of the pool. I'm running the filter all the time right now.

FC 15 on Friday as I shocked that morning with some leftover trichlor and tested that evening, 0 as of yesterday evening. I have a few leftover pucks in the automatic chlorinator which I assume is adding at night and then depleating in the sun. I'll add bleach if it's safe.
CC .5
Ph 7.5
CYA 0 before I put the sock in it. I'll test CYA again next weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.