Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar panel quote

1. Back To Top    #1

solar panel quote

I received a quote today for a solar pool heating system. The system includes 6x12' Fafco Sunsaver ST panels, materials, and installation. I am using my Current control system, so no need to buy that. Total price is $4865. Is this an average/reasonable price for installing of this type of system? These panels come with a parts and labor warranty for 12 yrs.
    ~15000 gallon inground, plaster pool
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner
    Leslie's DPD Complete Test Kit, TF Tests FAS-DPD Chlorine Test Kit
    Heliocol solar pool heating (HC-40 x6)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar panel quote

You didn't say how many panels?

I just had a solar system installed. It was 10 10x4 eagle sun panels and 2 12x4 panels (496 sq ft. total), fully installed with automatic controller for $5995. 10 years parts and labor, parts warranty is from the manufacture and labor warranty is from the installation company.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by falken
    6 panels, 12'x4' each.
    Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter Tank, Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5hp pump, Pentair Legend II cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tedinelkgrove
    Quote Originally Posted by falken
    6 panels, 12'x4' each.
    Ah.. I read your post as 6'x12' panels, I didn't think anyone made panels that size!

I estimate total part cost to be around $2000. Labor time would be about 2 people 2 days or 4 people 1 day....
    In this area I would say it should be under $4000, assuming you aren't doing any underground pipe runs, no new electrical runs to the breaker, etc.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

5. Back To Top    #5

I tried talking the guy down, but $4865 was the lowest. I told him we would think about it. I can't do it myself: tile roof, I am too big and clumsy, etc.. Hopefully someone else from the area will reply. Thanks for posting your info.

Name of company is Sierra Pacific, the only FAFCO dealer here.

6. Back To Top    #6

I am trying to get 2 more quotes: one from a heliocol dealer and another from an ecosun dealer.

7. Back To Top    #7

Heliocol system was quoted at $4685. It appears professional equipment/install ain't cheap.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tedinelkgrove
    Heliocol system was quoted at $4685. It appears professional equipment/install ain't cheap.
    We just had Ecosun put in and all I can say is that it works for me. The pool temp went from 61 to 85 in 3 days. I am hoping it will be close to 90 by this evening. Look at the install in the sig bar
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

9. Back To Top    #9

Here's a post I started last Oct. on solar. I ended up going with Fafco Sunsetters and currently very please with the outcome. Now I got a fantastic price probably because of the economy and the dealer had excessive inventory on the panels ($3,960 complete with Jandy auto valve).
    Check out the link mas985 gave, this website helped me decide on Fafco over Helicoil. HTH

Thread Link
    18k free form IG w/spa (4 jets), Paramount in floor cleaning system, Starite system 3 filter, Jandy 2hp ePump, Sta-Rite SR400LP Maxi-therm propane heater, Jandy aquapure/apurem 1400 SWCG, Jandy automation PS4 w/PDA, IntelliBrite 120v 5-G LED pool & spa lights, 2" piping and (3)4x12 (5)4x10 Fafco Sunsaver Solar Panels.

10. Back To Top    #10

It looks like we are going to purchase the Heliocol HC-40 panel system from Solaron. Came in at the lowest price with a reputable installer. Total for the system is $4175, a substantial savings over the Fafco and other Heliocol dealer. I liked Heliocol's seamless construction eliminating potential leak points, and the warranty. From a BTU perspective, I doubt we could tell the difference between a 956 (heliocol) and 1016 (fafco) rating.

Here is the link to Solaron's website for our fellow valley pool owners interested in quotes. The other quotes we got were from Sierra Pacific (fafco) and Aztec Solar (heliocol).
    http://www.solaron.net/index.html

11. Back To Top    #11

Before you sign up, the HC-40 is the 10.5 ft panel, the HC-50 is the 12.5 foot panel. You might not be making an apples to apples comparison for pricing.

I too plan on using the Helicol, but in my case it's for superior wind resistance without all the additional roof penetrations for the straps that FAFCO requires (to meet wind codes).
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

12. Back To Top    #12

I still feel the 10.5' Heliocol panel is a better deal. My pool is ~400 sqft. So the 6-4x10.5 heliocol panels will be sufficient and follow the manufacturers guidelines of 60-65% of the pool surface. Each HC-40 panel has a functional sqft of 40.68. 40.68 x 6 = 244. 244/400 = 61%. I have a w-sw facing roof with direct sun and no obstructions.

13. Back To Top    #13

I measured the pool surface to be 415 ft2, so really 58.8% panel coverage relative to pool surface area. Still ~60%, rounding up Our swim season here is 6-8 months. Without panels, swim season is only June - Sept. A lot of 100+ days, but those cold clear valley nights, and the delta breeze, really keep the pool temp down. I only broke 80 a few times. My pool gets full sun 6-8 hrs/day. I think the 60% coverage should get daytime temps to average 80F April to Oct, depending on when the rainy season ends. April to Oct is usually sun with no rain and hardly any clouds.

14. Back To Top    #14

Planned install date of April 24th. Can't wait!

15. Back To Top    #15

tedinelkgrov - 7 years later, how are the panels working? I am currently getting a quote from Soleron using Heliocol. I had a quote from a Fafco dealer and it was almost $7000 for a pool that is only 13,000 gallons and 5ft deep. The fafco dealer said I needed 8 panels 2 4x12 / 3 4x6 / 3 4x8. I felt that was overkill for my pool.
    My pool: 18x32 White Plaster 13,000 Gal w/ Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, 3/4hp Pentair Booster Pump for Pentair Legend Pool Cleaner, Sta-Rite 300 Mod Media S7M120 Filter, Heliocol Solar Panels, Pentair Solar Touch Controller, Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme21 View Post
    tedinelkgrov - 7 years later, how are the panels working? I am currently getting a quote from Soleron using Heliocol. I had a quote from a Fafco dealer and it was almost $7000 for a pool that is only 13,000 gallons and 5ft deep. The fafco dealer said I needed 8 panels 2 4x12 / 3 4x6 / 3 4x8. I felt that was overkill for my pool.
    They have not logged in for 5 years. If you have questions, please ask in your own thread. Thanks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Also please include your state in your location so we don't have to guess where Marin County is, and which one if there are more than one. Location makes a difference in advice we give on things like well solar heating
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

18. Back To Top    #18

Got it, Thanks.
    My pool: 18x32 White Plaster 13,000 Gal w/ Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, 3/4hp Pentair Booster Pump for Pentair Legend Pool Cleaner, Sta-Rite 300 Mod Media S7M120 Filter, Heliocol Solar Panels, Pentair Solar Touch Controller, Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit.