Build progress

Compared to many I've had it quite easy. Pool supply company dropped off two pallets of premix marbletite product today - I presume that means plastering is staying on schedule...getting quite excited.

As soon as they put in plaster they acid wash to remove cream and expose pebbles, then immediately fill with water. I was in the pool wading in the water as it was being filled. I do not recmmend it as I left small foot prints which have eventually disappeared. :cheers:

Make sure you get the warranty on your concrete in writing. my pb in SC had said the same thing then, then a year later when it started falling apart he refused to do anything that was a good fix, he suggested installing bottle jacks under it and jacking up out concrete :shock: Always good to have it in writing.

whoozer said:
Make sure you get the warranty on your concrete in writing. my pb in SC had said the same thing then, then a year later when it started falling apart he refused to do anything that was a good fix, he suggested installing bottle jacks under it and jacking up out concrete :shock: Always good to have it in writing.

Thanks for the advice. The standard deck warranty from them is 1 year. They have put in writing a lifetime warranty (from one of the two owners of the company) on the area I pointed out in the previous post. I have asked for a ten-year warranty for workmanship for the whole deck - they are thinking that one over. My reason for the request is due to the possibility of other (hidden) voids in the pour.

Plaster is done, pool is filling, sod was put down this morning. No landscaping for a while - we need to let the new pool and yard take hold before making the investment.

30Soddown-fillingcontinues.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tugsie77 said:
You may have mentioned this already but I didn't see it in the thread. What plaster did you go with and what color was it? My husband loves the lighter colored pools. Yours looks great!

It's an exposed quartz aggregate from a leading Florida plaster producing company - Premix Marbletite - product line is Marquis, specific product name is Bluestone. Living beachside in Florida the thinking was a lighter color may help with water temps in the summer heat.

IIRC, brentr (living in Jacksonville) has a pebble type finish from the same company, but the Beach series product line.
EDIT: Just look at brentr's signature line in the post above this one to see pic, etc from his build.

Pool is up and being run through it's paces by the PB (Intellibrite is cycling through the colors as I type).

nitelite.jpg

I completed a DIY install of 5 Heliocol panels, thought maybe I should post one more time. It was decidedly not fun working on a 9/12 pitch metal roof.

Priorities being, well priorities, as I climbed the ladder my DW asked if my life insurance policy was current.

BTW, that's 5 HC-50 panels (each 4'X12.5') for 62.5% ratio of panel to pool, roof pitch is near ideal for winter heating at my location, should get me to 11 months/year average.

IMG_0892.jpg

Hello. I am in your neck of the woods and a new pool owner about 2 months ago. Would you mind sharing some details on your install with regard to installation, calculations for number of panels, and what you estimate the cost savings to be for DIY vs professional install?

Thanks. Have enjoyed following your process. Pool looks great.

I attached to the metal roof using S-5 metal roof clamps. To the S-5 clamps I attached aluminum "F" channel bars used along the bottom on corrugated style hurricane window shutters. Stainless bolts were slid down the "F" to the proper points to attach to the Heliocol "Gator Clamps". I made my own straps and attachments from 1/8"X1" aluminum strapping to secure/support the associated plumbing. Over the side and down to the equipment pad is (I think) typical.

The calculation for the number of panels was based on data from the Florida Solar Energy Center, "owned" by the University of Central Florida. Use their link titled sizing & economics.

The costs savings are probably highly variable. I know that back in 1992 we had our roof redone (shingles), and every bidder tacked on $1K for a "steep roof" surcharge (my roof is 9/12 pitch meaning ~37 degree slope). I was not able to secure any solar panel bids that were separately priced materials and labor. I did get material-only bids and material+labor bids, and I'd estmate I saved around $3K - which might translate into $2K for a gentler sloping, shingle roof (easier to walk on).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.