Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fafco Solar Bear for IGP?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fafco Solar Bear for IGP?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. I've found a good price on some 4'x20' Solar bear panels that I want to install myself, but I have a 20'x40' IGP and these are supposedly for AGP. The biggest IGP panels that FAFCO makes seem to the be the sunsaver which are 4x12 or 2x20. They are also more expensive.

So.... what's the deal? Do I get the AGP panels, mount them to my roof and forget about it, or do I shell out some extra cash for panels that are explicitly designed for IGP? What's the difference, anyways?
    15.5 k gallon. IG. plaster. Pool/spa pump: Jandy Zodiac FloPro FHPM 2.0-2 (0.25 and 2.0 HP 2-speed). Water feature pump: Jandy Zodiac Stealth Pro Series, SHPF 3.0 (3.0 HP). Filter: 250 SF cartridge. Surface area 290 SF. Jandy AquaPure SWG and PureLink. Aqualink controls. Jandy Legacy Pool and Spa Heater by Zodiac 400,000 BTU - natural gas. Heliocol solar panels. Built 3/2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fafco Solar Bear for IGP?

AG panels are often made with a diverter so the inlet and outlet are on the same end of the panel, while IG panels have the water entering one end and exiting the other. AG panels aren't optimum for roof mounting for that reason.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

I have both here, and in my opinion, there is no difference, as long as you get the one with 2" headers, you will be ok.
    I have 3 on my patio porch roof, work like a charm, and no way I would ever put any heater other then solar, why pay, why use resources, when you can get it for free.

4. Back To Top    #4

*** I couldn't find any forum rules about directly linking to products - if this is against the rules please let me know and I'll take down ASAP ***Fine. JasonLion

Ok, so I'm looking at buying this:

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/produc...ount~3659.html

I have an 800 sq ft pool and put these on the south side of my sunny Las Vegas house, so I'll I'm looking at buying 6 packs of these (2'x20' x 12 = 480 sqft, which is 60%, the min recommended for a south facing roof)

For a controller I was looking at this:
    http://www.aquasuperstore.com/produc...LAID=327034108

Other than that, what do I need? Seems like perhaps I should get one these so that I get the systems kit:

http://www.aquasuperstore.com/produc...LAID=327034772

Although it says it has 1.5" headers, which doesn't seem right. I'm just worried I'm going to end up heading to my pool supply store and spending $300 on valves and what-not that I could have just gotten with the system's kit. I already have 2" PVC run to the side of the house.

Thanks!
    15.5 k gallon. IG. plaster. Pool/spa pump: Jandy Zodiac FloPro FHPM 2.0-2 (0.25 and 2.0 HP 2-speed). Water feature pump: Jandy Zodiac Stealth Pro Series, SHPF 3.0 (3.0 HP). Filter: 250 SF cartridge. Surface area 290 SF. Jandy AquaPure SWG and PureLink. Aqualink controls. Jandy Legacy Pool and Spa Heater by Zodiac 400,000 BTU - natural gas. Heliocol solar panels. Built 3/2013.

5. Back To Top    #5

We are going with the Goldline GL-235 however the installer is putting the system in for us. If you are going to DIY, look at ebay, can be bought for $285 includes free shipping. Hope this helps Post pics when you do the install......
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr
    Post pics when you do the install......
    Same for you Brent; post pics of the install and let us know how it works out for you! When are they getting started?
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)