Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My DIY pool build

1. Back To Top    #1

My DIY pool build

Hi everyone,

After more than one year of researching I was lucky to find this wonderful site.
    I believe that I have learned enought to start building my own pool. It will be constructed like the one of cancuntom (thanks) whit some diferences. I know is different of how they are constructed now in the US, but I'm confident it will be ok, and I hope this thread be usefull for somebody.

My backyard is small, about 25 x 50 ft, so the pool will be 11 x 20 ft, 4.5 deep, and no way to introduce equipment to do the hardest part (the hole), I started on January 29 working on weekends with two of my boys (They are happy to help) and some hollydays, it took us 2 weeks to do the hole, one more for rebar and pour the slab; then I have the fourth week free from job and built a bench, a kind of entry level and tha walls. I have now just some weekends to work and the building will be slower. Here are some pictures, i hope they help somebody as this site is helping me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10' x 20' x 52" In Ground Pool 6,600 gallons, 2" piping, TFTestkit
    24" Sand filter / Espa Silen 0.8 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My DIY pool build

Rebar is 3/8" each 8 in

3. Back To Top    #3

The slab is ready

There is also a rebar horizontally each 8 inches in the walls

That was the hardest part and I like to do it now because of the fresh days 50 degrees.

I was worried about the concrete, here normally is mixed by hand and that way is used a lot of water, but I wanted a good mix and was not able to use a truck due to the space, so I bought a small husky concrete mixer in home depot and was afraid about it continuos performance. I must say we make 4 cubic yards from 82 batches of 5 gallons of sand, 7.5 gallons of gravel, 2.5 gallons of cement, 2.5 gallons of water, 5 oz of sikalite in aprox 4.5 hours to load it at 90% of its maximum capacity and the mixer worked great.

4. Back To Top    #4

I hope this thread be useful for somebody.
    Thanks for posting. It will be even more useful if you
    could figure out a way reduce the size of your pictures,
    then edit your post to re-load them. They are awfully hard to see this way.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry, first time I atach pictures. I risized them.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, the 800x600 format is much better.

I remember having to hand-dig through clay soil helping my Dad build a retaining wall... very hard work, and we didn't get a pool to swim in afterward! When do you expect to be done with your project? What kind of tile and coping, etc? Keep the pics coming!
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome gumarogarc to TFP . If you need any advice we will be here to help you with your pool. Using child labor is a great way to keep your costs down
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

polivue, I will use venetian tile from kolorines brand

[attachment=0:2kiqq0yg]Veneciano.JPG[/attachment:2kiqq0yg]

About coping, I'm not sure yet, I'm between 40 x 40 tile and colored and sealed stamped concrete.

The plan is to finish On June to be be able to use it three months.

brentr, yes the cost are very low, just materials.

9. Back To Top    #9

polivue, I will use venetian tile from kolorines brand
    Very attractive. If people in Mexico like Venetian tile (Italy) and pool owners in the US prefer Spanish & Aztec patterns, do europeans insist on American subway tile? It seems we all like things that remind us of somewhere else!
    __

10. Back To Top    #10

Are there any updates or new pics? I am dying to see this project finished!
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is an update from the last two weekends:

And with a camera, my cel quality is not good enought

I really like how is it looking

12. Back To Top    #12

That looks fantastic. It looks like you have a small spa in the corner.....
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

13. Back To Top    #13

Two more pictures, one for a question:

The tree closest to tha pool is a mandarin and is 7 feet from the edge of the pool.

The other is a pomegranate, and is 15 feet from the edge.

Should I remove the mandarin or even the pomegranate?

14. Back To Top    #14

The tree closest to tha pool is a mandarin and is 7 feet from the edge of the pool.
    The other is a pomegranate, and is 15 feet from the edge.
    Should I remove the mandarin or even the pomegranate?
    Though I don't know too much about trees, I'm pretty sure I know the right questions to ask in deciding whether to remove them.

1. How large - tall and wide - will it grow in maturity? Always easier to take out a small tree.
    2. How extensive is the root system? Some species spread far from their trunk.
    3. Does the tree shed leaves, berries, blooms etc frequently or prolifically? Attract insects?

Plants and trees can be an occasional nuisance or quite destructive, growing into underground pipes and lifting or breaking up concrete decks. The one 7 ft from the pool I'd be most worried about.
    __

15. Back To Top    #15

I realize this might be a little late and that funds are tight but I would reccomend replacing all your red handle ball valves to jandy or pentair never lube valves. I fine tune my valves frequently and these turn much better and easier.

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi there gumarogarc
    Very interesting build and a speedy one aswell, impressive!
    What kind of pooldeck and coping are you planning for?
    //Mats
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

17. Back To Top    #17

Is there a final product yet?
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

18. Back To Top    #18

Not final product yet.

I did the pressure test and cover with waterproof mortar (Sika 1) the inside of the pool.

Next steps are coping and deck and finally install the venetian tile.

Sorry I don't post pictures, I am on vacations; next week I will post some pictures.

19. Back To Top    #19

Here is the advance of two working weekends.

The first one we, cover the inside of the pool with impermeable mortar.

The other one, we make the coping. We finally choice concrete with brown color.
    Here are some pictures.

20. Back To Top    #20

I can't wait to see this pool build completed!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast