Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Multiport Valve Gasket- Lube or Caulk?

1. Back To Top    #1

Multiport Valve Gasket- Lube or Caulk?

I am replacing the gasket in my Sta-Rite Multiport valve and have received differing advice from 2 pool stores about how to install the gasket. One store's employee said that I should lube the spider gasket. A different store's employee said that I should use caulk to set the gasket. His argument was that if it is not caulked in place it will move and cause a problem every time we move the valve. We have had this problem with our old gasket. I had to open the valve and reseat it every time we would move the valve or else we would get leakage. I don't know if this is because our gasket was old and needed to be replaced or if this wouldn't have happened if the gasket was "glued" in place with caulk. Thank you so much for your help!
    16,000 gallon IG gunite pool w/attached spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Sta-Rite DE Filter, 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, Polaris 280, iAqualink, blower, Jandy Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Multiport Valve Gasket- Lube or Caulk?

I have seen everything from lube to super glue to caulk to pvc cement recommended for holding the gasket in place. You do need something to hold the gasket in place. The more permanent the adhesive the less likely there will be problems, but the more trouble you will have getting the old one out if there are problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

GE clear silicone in the track. Just enough to hold it in place.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

From a long time ago, I think Waste posted that always moving the valve handle in the same direction....never "backing up".....was a good rule to follow

I'm not positive that has an influence on keeping the gasket seated but that would make some sense.

Somewhat off the subject but worth noting
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone! I used small beads of silicone caulk to hold the gasket in place. I have also heard that you should move the valve in the same direction each time, so I will continue to do that. Hopefully this will keep my gasket in place and working for a while!
    16,000 gallon IG gunite pool w/attached spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Sta-Rite DE Filter, 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, Polaris 280, iAqualink, blower, Jandy Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Go to a push/pull valve would be my recommendation. They let water flow a lot more efficiently and no spider gasket to worry about.
    John

16 X 32 X 5.5 Indoor Vinyl
    Hayward S220T Sand w/ 1 HP Superpump
    Auto Brominator
    Dual Solar/Oil fired heat exchangers

7. Back To Top    #7

Push/Pull valves have gaskets that wear also. While they reduce head loss, the lost functionality of them when compared to a MPV easily outweighs the benefit of the the lower head loss.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.