Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help picking new pump/filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Help picking new pump/filter

Hi there! All winter ive been looking around at a new filter/pump for my pool (its a Intex AG pool, 18'X42" - apx 8000 gallons) and i finally decided on Hayward S244T Pro-Series 24-Inch Top Mount Sand Filter. I just took a trip to my local pool guy to check it out in person and relised, its HUGE (and i mean, REALLY HUGE) the pump was 1 1/2 HP. After finding you guys and looking around im seeing people with 20K gal pools using 1/2 hp pumps and it got me to thinking i need to go for a smaller pump.

What pump/filter would you guys recommend? any input greatly appreciated, was all ready to hit the trigger till i saw it

Thanks for the help!
    (If it matters i also just got a intex salt generator - somthing with the same connections would be great :P )
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help picking new pump/filter

Welcome to TFP I am not an expert at providing answers to your questions however someone with substantially more experience and knowledge will come by. I think that posting pics and giving more info on the size make and model of all of your pool equipment would be very helpful
    5,775 gal, IG free form, Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish, 2 swim out benches, Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues, StaRite Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter replaced with Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15, Polaris 360, Pentair 300w Light upgraded to Pentair IntelliBrite (OMG what a huge difference) , Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers, solar cover, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jet, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer (Makes testing a breeze), Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Margarita Concoction Machine,
    Pics of our Spool ( Social Pool) being built Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help picking new pump/filter

The pool is http://www.intexcorp.com/metal18x48.htm. 6500 gallons according to site, 7500 according to the pool calculator. All equipment is the standard in the box intex equip with the exception of the intex SWG that is still unopened in the box.
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.