Intermittent Intellibrite

May 8, 2018
Merritt Island FL
Intellibrite color led. Easytouch 4p box. Intermatic Px-100. Age 4 years

pool light goes on then goes out. 20 seconds on. Then 15 seconds. Then sort of random lengths. After several interactions of turning light back on after the light goes out (while light on indicator says light is still on) the light will stay on u til the egg timer turns it off three hours later.

Whew.

The transformer has wiring for 12v (white wire) or 13v (Yellow). Initially and currently wired for 12 v. Yellow wire is capped off.

Testing transformer. Good primary side power. However, I read 13v on secondary side. (Output side). What’s up with that? See above wiring color codes.
When the software indicates the light is on and the light is on, the voltage coil oscillates from 12.8 v to 13.1, settling at 13v. (After the transformer has been cycled multiple times—see below). I’d look then look at the light to ensure it is on. When the light goes out I walk back to the transformer and look at the voltage. 13.1. After doing this ‘transforming walk’ several times I decide to have the wife observe the light while I observe the voltage meter. Of course once I do this, the light NEVERS goes out. Hum. I was looking for some type of voltage anomaly the moment the light would go out. Dang.

So I button up the PX box and do the beer thirty thing at 6pm. I pondered why the light stayed energized while the wife was engaged, perhaps the light will stay in now (30 minutes or so after the wife assist). Well it didn’t.
Okay. Let me emulate why the light stayed on with the wife watching. Hey Lynn goes outside again....ha!
instead, I turned the light off once it de-energized, waited 5 seconds or so, then turned it in again. I did this two step until the light stayed on. Turns out that IS what I did before frustration set in and before I asked the wife for help, i.e., all the walking between the pool light and the transformer.

Conclusions:?
light works just fine

must be the transformer. After all why am I reading 13.1 volts? And why does the pool light stay energized after cycling the transformer repeatedly?

Jeez. Why is the PX-100 $80 while the transformer is $77. Not fair I say. Just not fair.

Thanks for reading this. Hope y’all have some sage advice for me the intermittently transformed.

Some of those LEDs are pretty sensitive to voltage, but a volt or so either way shouldn't have an effect on them. One thing that will drive you crazy with LED's is a loose connection. It can seem tight, but have just enough corrosion to cause a drop in current flow and the light will turn on and off like you're describing. I'd check any connections between the light and transformer. Also heat buildup at the light will cause it to shutdown.

On a similar note: I have an LED spot light and it would shut off at random times way before the battery went dead, and I finally tore into it and found the thermistor was mounted too close to the driver and it would heat up and shut the light off. I bent the thermistor a little away from the driver and it now will run until the battery goes dead.

....Also heat buildup at the light will cause it to shutdown.

Thanks for the reply and thoughts Bulldog killer, (college reference) the heat buildup cannot be the issue as once I cycle the light (took eight on/offs tonight) the light stays on. For three hours as the eggshell timer is set, for, three hours.
Curious why the transformer would have a wiring for 12 or 13 volts. I was wanting to hear that LEDs are sensitive to voltage with 13.1v tipping the scale towards no illumination.

wish I could finger out how to insert one of my site photos in this post. Could be iPad conflict. Check out my photos as one is pertinent.

Thanks for the reply and thoughts Bulldog killer...
I'm actually not one of those fanatical football fans. My user name comes from being from Bama (obviously) and loving to camp all over the US, hence the Rambling part. :D

Curious why the transformer would have a wiring for 12 or 13 volts.
Those taps are to accomodate for voltage drop on long cable runs. Most of those transformers also have a 14 volt tap, but since yours is a spa it may not have the 14 volt tap. Also those transformers aren't regulated so if the input power fluctuates a little the output will proportionally.

College football for me. Gainesville Fl and Athens Ga for my friends. lol
only thing to get fanatical about is or was, er never mind!

Thank you for the education on transformer taps. I have no spa, only a pool. Intellibrite 5G underwater color-changing LED Pool light.

Thanks again!

Camping?
I camped out out once on the Natchez Trace Parkeay at Jeff Busby when heading out to Montana on my motorsickle a couple years back. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.